Thread: Old Craftsman Jointer - opinions?

Old Craftsman Jointer - opinions?

This jointer is on sale locally. It's a '49 Craftsman, with only only the infeed adjustable. I'm waiting for confirmation from the seller, but it looks like a 6".

I'm currently using a 4" Montgomery Wards jointer - looks like a mini version of the classic Delta 6" jointers.. Infeed and outfeed are adjustable, and it's given me great service. However, there are times that I really wish I had that additional 2" of cutting width. They seller's practically giving it away at $25, so I'm not worried about the price. But if the old C-man jointers aren't very good, or if the loss of an adjustable outfeed table isn't worth the gain of a 6" cutter, then I don't want to waste the time to go pick it up.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

For $25.00 it's a good deal, I have had one for years, the older one's are built like a tank. Throw a new set of blade's in and enjoy

That's a no brainer at $25 if it runs.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

The old craftsman king Seeley jointers were very well made, I have one I got from another Creeker.

5. Just a warning:
    I had a small Grizzly benchtop jointer like that with a fixed outfeed table. Getting the knives set to the right height relative to the fixed outfeed was .... lets just say had that jointer been lighter weight I would have thrown it out the window.

Be prepared to spend 3 hours playing with it every time you have to change knives.