Thread: High quality black art frame?

Blog Entries

High quality black art frame?

Ladies and gents,

I have a friend who is a full time artist. Her customers like black frames around her art and her originals go for a few thousand. She's asked me a few times to make her a high quality black frame.

Most black frames at the frame shops are wrapped MDF from what I can tell.

I'm not one with staining. In fact, I'm a total noob. Any ideas how I could make a high quality black frame? Maple + stain? Some other wood? Do you have a specific stain (make, model, color, whatever) that you can think of?

I really appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,

Can it be paint? If so then you can use inexpensive wood. Avoid open grain woods like oak that require a lot more filler than closed grain woods. Seal it and then paint.

I have used ebony stains and added india ink (from an artit supply store). It will allow a really black color while the grain still is visible. Have done it with ash, maple, poplar.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

I make them all the time. I make them out of maple. Dye them black. I use Tranfast dye. Then follow with a ebony gel stain from the Borg. I think it is rustoleum. I use laquer for the top coat because it is quicker and easier to spray. You could use poly if you want. I think they look better than painted. I dye the glue black before assembly so I don't have a line and don't have to use woodfiller.

I frame for 3 local artists and do some in black. I have a local supplier of lacquer-based wipe on black stain, then coat with clear, stain lacquer. You don't need much in the way of experience to use wipe on stain. I use mainly poplar for black stains. It is inexpensive and takes finish very well.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies!

Do you have photos of your work?

I do the black dye and/or black stain on some items also. But, another alternative is to use Target Coatings Black water based lacquer. I think the number is EM-6500. It covers well but depending on how many coats you put on, the grain of the wood can be visible.

Jim

I recommend you use Fiebings alcohol based leather dye. Use the USMC black, and you wont go wrong. Any wood. You can get it at any shoe maker or shoe shiner or any leather working place. not expensive. I use it frequently to dye the back end of arrow shafting jet black. Works great and easy peasy. Russ

Lighting is making it look a little brown but it is black

Blog Entries
    Nice.

I like it.

Ordering right meow.

Soft Maple, finely sanded, flat black paint sprayed to cover, over coated with water borne clear in the desired sheen. High-end store quality if your construction is sound.

The ones I make are very similar to the one that Cary posted the photo of. I've used a variety of woods, but I'm fine with grain showing through in our home. But for "smooth as a baby's backside"...I'd use the maple.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...