Thread: Trying to learn about toolrest shapes/styles

Trying to learn about toolrest shapes/styles

My curiosity was peaked with a series of discussions on tool rest brands to buy.

I started looking and there were several shapes, I was curious which shapes people found useful.

Inside curve/ Outside - shaped in a curve to fit in bowels. Available in both large and small sizes. Do you use both sizes are just the large? (Seems the small size bowls can be done with a straight tools rest since the overhang is shorter on a small bowl, not sure though). Seems to be one half of the S curve, but larger radius of curve.

IC_on_AB-400H1.jpg

S curve - has both the inside and outside bowl shapes on the same tool rest toolrest-s__50427.1447746201.300.300.jpg

Z curve - ??? really curious on this one, do you just use this when you are bowl turning in reverse? It has both inside and outside bowl, but in a reverse turning position

048-toolrest--z__82605.1447746162.300.300.jpg

J curve - Seems to be basicly part S curve, and part straight, tigher end radius at the J hook than the S
    - From Roger - very good for steep walled vessels like vases

J_Rest_400.jpg

Goblet rest (bestwoods calls it a box rest) - basically a platform on top of tool rest post

Vicmarc
    v01199__04595.1447747511.300.300.jpg

bestwoodtools.com box

Boxpair2.jpg

Added Low Profile per Robert

I use a low profile rests a good bit, especially for finials and other spindle work, as well as getting in closr with a detail gouge when finishing out the bottom of bowls.....it allows me to make decorative rings and get really close on the nub, so it is very easy to take it off.

robust_LP__19869.1451507994.100.100.jpg
    Couple of questions for the collective wisdom of the group:
    - Which straight tool rests do you use?
    - does anyone know what a Z tool rest is used for? Do you use one?
    - what other shapes do you use?
    - what do you not like about a toolrest shape (Thanks JKJ)?
    - what material do you like in a toolrest (Thanks Thom)?
    - what cross section of toolrest do you prefer (Thanks Thom)?

There has been several useful threads on straight tool rests, but I was curious about what other shapes you have found useful? Have not found very much written about other styles of tool rests. A tool rest is cheaper than a d-way or Thompson tool, just curious which ones could improve my work.

Thanks
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 04-25-2017 at 7:31 PM. Reason: add suggestions by Roger, Thom and JKJ

2. I have all you mention except a "Z" rest....whatever that is. The one that does not get used is the "S" curve. I like both inside curve and outside for bowls, and the "J" rest is great for steep walled vessels like vases. I also use my low profile rests a good bit, especially for finials and other spindle work, as well as getting in closr with a detail gouge when finishing out the bottom of bowls.....it allows me to make decorative rings and get really close on the nub, so it is very easy to take it off.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Where did you get the box rest from? I don't have that one, and looks real useful for goblets and small boxes.......
    I have a Z rest, although it's more like a Z than a backwards S. Got it at a tool sale with an S rest, don't use it at all. Well, I use it for ballast on my wall.

I'd be interested in knowing how many use an "S" style rest.

Kyle,

The box tool rest is from vicmarc. They make a 1" and a 30mm version. My vicmarc 300 uses the 30mm. I am not sure who sells the 1" vicmarc here the link http://www.woodworkersemporium.com/Vicmarc_V01199/

The bestwood box rest is http://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/unboxre.html
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 04-26-2017 at 6:09 AM.

Another aspect of rests that you have ignored/missed is the material and cross-section. There are round rests with the rest being made from steel rod (normally about 3/4"-1" dia), then there are solid cast iron rests in many shapes that require constant dressing with a file to remove irregularities. And finally the ones topped with 1/4" or so hardened steel rod.

Each has its place and advocates and is available in most of the listed forms. I greatly prefer the latter type and have straight, J, and bowl versions. I rarely use the bowl version since getting the J-rest.

The Z-rest might have been for those machines where you could turn from the back side of the headstock with the motor reversed.?
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have a bunch of different tool rests and my favorite and most versatile are the Robust straight rests. I like the 15" straight Robust for longer spindle work and the smaller sizes, down to 4", for smaller work. I do have the large and small Robust "J" rests but only for occasional use. I remember Glenn Lucas, the production bowl turner, mentioning he uses a straight rest inside a bowl.

I do like the Best Wood Tools box rests for inside some things.

What I didn't see you ask is what rests people DON'T like. My least favorite rests are the those from Best Wood Tools (and some I welded up myself) that have the round bar on the top, 3/4" diameter for the BWT. They are very well made but move the contact point back too far from the work. I am also tired (literally) of the heavy cast iron rest that came with the PM 3520b and the lighter one that came with the Jet 1642. For one thing, the cast iron needs frequent dressing. The hardened steel rod on the top of the Robust rests never gets dinged.

JKJ

Well, this is an old one, but my opinions on tool rests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0uS9gj0Szs

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    My curiosity was peaked with a series of discussions on tool rest brands to buy.

I started looking and there were several shapes, I was curious which shapes people found useful.

Inside curve/ Outside - shaped in a curve to fit in bowels. Available in both large and small sizes. Do you use both sizes are just the large? (Seems the small size bowls can be done with a straight tools rest since the overhang is shorter on a small bowl, not sure though). Seems to be one half of the S curve, but larger radius of curve.

Z curve - ??? really curious on this one, do you just use this when you are bowl turning in reverse? It has both inside and outside bowl, but in a reverse turning position

048-toolrest--z__82605.1447746162.300.300.jpg

- does anyone know what a Z tool rest is used for? Do you use one?
    - what other shapes do you use?

There has been several useful threads on straight tool rests, but I was curious about what other shapes you have found useful? Have not found very much written about other styles of tool rests. A tool rest is cheaper than a d-way or Thompson tool, just curious which ones could improve my work.

Thanks
    Michael
    I own a few different styles of rest, long and short, steel and cast iron, the straight and J rest are used the most, as for the Z rest it is used on these kind of bowls or forms.

Maple bowl.jpg Ailanthus bowl.jpg White Elm bowl.jpg Big hat Elm bowl.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 04-26-2017 at 4:00 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Thanks for the info Michael!