Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on the Bosch ReaXX vs Sawstop issue

Update on the Bosch ReaXX vs Sawstop issue

Looks like the Bosch ReaXX saw is banned from import now. See article here.

The article indicates it also includes parts for saws already in the US.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Wow... Destroyed them. Well, so much for that.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Well sure bosch can set their saw in waiting for few years and still survive. The clock keeps ticking on sawstop...

Mike,

Thanks for the news. I stocked cartridges after reading the preceding thread. No regrets on the saw: it's a fine piece of equipment.

Having read the linked article, I gather Bosch will support units already in service with stock on hand. Might get dicey if they cannot replenish spares...

BobV

How many more years on SS's patent?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Wow... Destroyed them. Well, so much for that.
    Only in the USA which is a very small portion of the global market........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Only in the USA which is a very small portion of the global market........Regards, Rod.
    I would imagine that for that particular saw, the USA would have been a fair sized market for Bosch. It's somewhat expensive so I think it will sell better in the advanced economies than in third world countries.

Also, I have no idea whether SawStop obtained patents on their technology in other countries. If you think your product will have a decent market in certain countries other than the USA, people often do get patents in those countries. An ITC ruling on the patents in one member country could carry over to the other member countries, I suppose.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I believe a patent is 17 years. But I have a feeling they had the patent for a few years before they made any saws. Of course as they reprogram the electronics they will try to claim each update as a new patent date.
    Bill

Thanks for the update Mike.

IIRC, the Wright brothers fought hard to protect their patents too. Over time, other people still made airplanes. This too shall pass.

Fred

Mike, while I agree with your comment regarding third world countries, my understanding is that the order only covers the USA.

That leaves Canada and all of Europe as a market for a safe portable saw, it's a pretty big market.

In North America the safety focus isn't anywhere as well established as it is in the EU, I would expect that a higher percentage of woodworkers in the EU would opt for the safety feature compared to NA users...........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Thanks for the update Mike.

IIRC, the Wright brothers fought hard to protect their patents too. Over time, other people still made airplanes. This too shall pass.

Fred
    Yes, patents all expire. It'll be interesting to see how SawStop does without patent protection. I always think of Xerox and how they fared after their patents expired.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Yes, patents all expire. It'll be interesting to see how SawStop does without patent protection. I always think of Xerox and how they fared after their patents expired.

Mike
    I think they may actually be in real trouble which is a shame, they build nice saws.

If they go down the tubes after the patent expires, I will have no pity for them at all. The company spent 10's of thousands of dollars lobbying the federal government to make passive blade technology on table saws a requirement. Of course, since no other technology existed, they were effectively forcing me and all other potential table saw buyers to buy their saw at whatever price they demanded. Fortunately, their utterly self serving efforts failed. I will never support a company or organization trying to take away my right to choose what kind of saw I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    I think they may actually be in real trouble which is a shame, they build nice saws.
    Totally agree with you.

If they continue to build good saws, how will they be in trouble? I bought my SawStop more for the quality of the saw than for the safety stuff.