Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pricing wide rim bowls

pricing wide rim bowls

these two bowls are the only ones I have done with this shape so I'm stabbing the dark to decide how to price them at a show this weekend. I had a friend tell me they don't see well for him and he would be hard pressed to get $100 a piece where he lives.

I don't have a problem pricing regular shaped bowls so I sure could use some help on these. The bowl with the bark inclusions is hickory and the other is camphor.
    Both bowls are 16 inches in diameter with a 9 inch bowl portion.
    thanks for your help,
    DaveIMG_20170326_175044__1493146303_43078.jpgIMG_20170417_184555__1493146187_76434.jpg

2. That's $165-175 in my show. You can always reduce the price in a negotiation. Really hard to raise it.

All the best, Tom, in Douglasville, always trying to determine the market.
    Tom Hamilton
    Chapel Hill Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Have blanks, will trade

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice.

thanks for the response, Tom. I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get anyone to answer. Do you have a 'system' for the price you gave me or just a sense at what something will sell for at your shows. I had one friend tell me the wide rim bowls don't sell much at all for him but I like the way they look. Since I've never sold one I guess we'll see on Saturday how they do.

If you have any insight on how you would arrive at the $165-175 price point, please let me know.

Dave

Hmm, I would have difficulty getting $100 for them here. If it is a more 'artistic' type show, then maybe. I never did well with artistic pieces, but the utilitarian pieces always sold well. Perhaps because it is a bigger market. Those are more specialty pieces.

robo hippy

Ditto Reed, I have a hard time selling wide rim platters.

It really is going to depend on your market. Shows and shops that move a lot of traditional and functional wares are notoriously poor at selling objects that tilt the balance more towards art than function. If I were trying to sell them in the galleries and shops I use, then 150-175 would be reasonable. My best advice is that if you can't sell what you love to make, don't change the work, change the market.

Thanks everyone. The show is Saturday and I'm going to mark them at $125. I'll let you know if they sell

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLES D Richards View Post
    Thanks everyone. The show is Saturday and I'm going to mark them at $125. I'll let you know if they sell
    Beautiful pieces. Maybe set up an end or the middle of the table, with utilitarian flowing in either direction, to have the artistic pieces. They might not move, but you would be surprised how the artistic attracts and the clients walk away with something lesser from your table.

My wife and mother-in-law have setups in different stores and coffee shops. Her mother has even moved artistic doors/windows that she has done with glass, etc. Yes, an entire door. Never know who might walk by, but the layout above should be a delight to whoever comes to your table.

thanks a lot Jeramie, great suggestions. I am trying to occasionally venture out of just utilitarian turnings and get into more challenging work, not that I don't enjoy turning bowls. However, so times I feel disappointed at the lack of market for artsy pieces, or maybe just my inexperience in that arena, but I don't like selling my pieces at prices that are far below the value I think they are worth based on effort and time.

Thankfully, I only have two of these bowls so maybe they will sell this weekend, but I don't want to curb my enthusiasm for doing different pieces.

Dave

Take a walk around at the show and see what items are selling for and adjust accordingly. Figure out a break even point and if you get someone that's interested sell them even if it's not the price you want. You don't want to give them away but you also don't want to take them home unless you have other shows lined up.

Let us know how you make out.
    Don

thanks Don. To my knowledge there are no other turners at this show, but I could be mistaken.

I'll keep you guys informed and respond the first of the week

12. Dave, Reed (points down) makes a great point. If it is not an art show you will need to establish yourself as an art turner not a "user-bowl" turner. An Impala always sells for more than a Civic. Now your market may not support a total Impala show so a mix may be appropriate, but be wary of going for the lowest price. If your turning for employment then your decisions are driven by different motivators than if your turning for fun, personal growth and a budding, developing artistic interest.

We pass through Valdosta several times a year on the way to FL. It's a thriving community with a college and 60K residents. I suspect there are art lovers in the Big V.

Enjoy the turning and the hunt for a market.

All the best, Tom, in Douglasville, just up the road.
    Tom Hamilton
    Chapel Hill Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Have blanks, will trade

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice.

Charles, aside from the regional pricing variances and venue challenge, in order to determine value, one almost needs to hold a piece to assess the surface, form and finish - including the treatment of the base. Photos just aren't enough to give meaningful answers to your question. In the right venue, artistic bowls can sell in the $250-275 range and sometimes more. But, they must be unique in some way (your wood choices are very nice), the form should be pleasing with proportionate and fair curves, and the surface and finish flawless. A nicely done base helps a lot. One can get by with a plain or recess base on a utility piece, but not on an art object.

Left click my name for homepage link.

John, I really appreciate your comments and wanted to mention that I admire your work. I have been turning about 3 1/2 years and now am reaching or trying to reach, for the next level up from basic utilitarian pieces. I have always touted the 'touch and feel' comment you made and try to make a surprise on the bottom of my pieces if allowed by design.
    I have attached some more photos of these two pieces and would appreciate your comments on whether this is what you alluded to in your post.

thanks again,
    Dave

IMG_20170326_175325__1493381624_15563.jpgIMG_20170428_075209__1493381466_77273.jpgIMG_20170428_075136__1493381408_27788.jpgIMG_20170428_075106__1493381523_53796.jpg

Those look nice. I sent you a PM.

Left click my name for homepage link.