Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chisels and sharpening stone and...

I have the Stanley Sweethearts, and my father gifted me his LN chisels.

The difference is the LNs are heavy, yet balanced. The Stanleys are light, and decently balanced. I went with the 8 piece Stanley for my starter set, and if I had to do it again I'd probably get their 5 pc (or is it 4?) and an individual 1/8th chisel.

As for sharpening stones, that's a fight everyone has a dog in. After much time here and some nasty knock-down-drag-out fights, I've seen many gravitate toward Shaptons, Sigmas, or Arkansas as a general rule and they will get you very good sharpening. That said, if money is tight, you can even get a decent edge with something like Nortons.

Like David E said, I buy quality when I can (which, thanks to the career in IT is often) instead of buying cheap. Cheap will get you frustrated quickly in this hobby; moderate pricing will get you happy and engrossed. High end will make you forget your significant other, children, and job, so be careful there. :-P

Whatever you get, make sure there's a good, lifetime warranty on the tool. I'm not sure of Narex, but I can tell you the Sweethearts have a lifetime limited warranty (basically, don't use it for a pry bar and you'll get it replaced), and anything Lie-Neilsen has a lifetime warranty that short of melting down the metal LN will uphold.

And FYI, if you think this is flip flopping, wait until you get further into the hobby. There's a reason most of us have more tools than most hardware stores.

You might also want to check out Lee Valley's offerings. They're a spot-on company that stands behind their product as well.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    I'd like to speak up in defense of the usefulness of having at least one wide chisel, as wide as you can find. When truing up a shoulder, paring off a peg flush with a surface, adjusting a fitting surface- that sort of thing- having the chisel wider than the workpiece helps me maintain registration.

Plus they look really cool in the chisel drawer....
    I agree, I have one that is a full 2" wide. I don't use it often, but when I need it is razor sharp.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Stefaniak View Post
    I use the Narex chisels. I got a few of them from the Lee Valley website a few months back. They are decent overall for the price. I will say however, that they were an absolute nightmare to flatten. It took me way more effort than I was expecting to get them into a state that I was happy with. Some of them were better than others, but all required a healthy dose of elbow grease to get the backs flat.
    I have some Narex mortise chisels that are good chisels. I also have some LN mortise chisels. The two sets give me all the sizes I need.

Kevin,

No comment on chisels, as the guys above are more expert than I am, as my chisels are almost all Stanley chisels from the 1960s and 1970s and I use them. Most of my chisel work has been carpentry related, and I use them for firmer chisel work, but I do use some for paring work by sharpening them at a lower angle, and if sharp they work fine for that, but I am slowly adding a few true paring chisels. The old Stanley 60s work fine with a claw hammer, and were designed for that. Carpenters always have a hammer with you on the job, and the Stanley 60s were designed for carpentry use with steel headed hammers, and they can take a beating.

I do have a few vintage socket chisels of various makers, and one Stanley Sweeheart simply because I had trouble finding a vintage 1/8th" socket chisel in the needed size. The vintage ones I have I bought for paring, and they have a longer and thinner blade than the Stanley 60s, which are butt firmer chisels.

My main comment is to go with what George mentioned, at least I think that was his intent, which is get a wooden mallet if you go with wooden handled chisels. Do not use a hammer with a steel head on a chisel with a wooden handle chisel if you want the handle to last. That is if you use those chisels for firmer chisel work.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 04-29-2017 at 1:06 PM.