Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Block Plane Recommendation

I have the veratis low angle block and a lie neilson low angle rebate block plane. Both are very good though I have to be careful with tear out. My go to block plane is a Falcon 220, which is an 1950's aussie copy of the stanley. The blade is set a bit steeper than the other pair and is quicker to sharpen, though quicker to dull. Veratis and Neilson are horrendously expensive here in Oz so I recomend that auction place for old planes, though we dont have your postal issues.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    The LN 102 is indeed a nice tool.

My Veritas Apron Plane is a nice tool also.
    What is the difference? I could not detect much accept the bronze body

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    Suggestions regarding a good all around block plane would be appreciated.

Thanks..
    It all depends on what you want and are prepared to spend.

Some just want a small plane to use to chamfer edges. One minute of planing and let's get it done. I don't care what I use as long as it works ..... well, for those, you can use anything that has a blade that holds an edge. My old Orange Block Plane demonstrated this. Stanley #110 or #220 .... large mouths and unfriendly adjustments - but they work.

Then there are others that want something better, since a low angle can plane end grain more efficiently, and adjustments are important. However, money is an issue. This is the audience for a vintage Stanley #60 1/2, as I mentioned earlier. Cheap and classic.

Is there any point in a premium block plane, such as the Lie-Nielsen #102 (the #103, which I have, is no longer available) or Veritas Apron plane .... both on the cheaper side of premium ... or a Lie-Nielsen #60 1/2 or Veritas DX60 (since the NX60 is not available again at this time), both on the more expensive side?

There is a world of difference when handling a Stanley #60 1/2 and a Lie Nielsen #60 1/2. The Veritas DX60 takes this to an even higher level. Chalk and cheese. The latter planes have a solid heft for their size, have better steel, better adjustments, and are just plain more comfortable to hold. Get one of these if quality and ergonomics are important and you can afford it.

All the planes actually cut wood pretty much the same.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Excellent summary, Derek.

For trimming I prefer the 102. As for end grain work and heavy removal it would be the DX60.
    Yes DX60 is more expensive but I prefer 102 to use*for the work I currently do*. Both can create equal thin shavings.

After looking back I don't see the need for the same kind of engineering for DX60 to be applied to 102.
    So yes one of more expensive but I don't see a better plane over one another.

For it's application both excel.

It seems everyone has missed a big point that I haven't seen mentioned (admittedly I may have missed it). The best block plane is the one that fits YOUR hand. I have several. A LV low angle. A LN 60.5. Several Stanley's (60.5, 9.25, etc.) For me they all work. But you couldn't pry the LN 60.5 out of my cold dead hands. It just fits like a well worn jacket. I do wish I could get a PMV11 for it though. It's an old version with water cooled steel similar to O1.

The LV is great too. It's just a bit too wide for me. But with the extra plane-like tote, I love it.

I might one one day get the LV DX60. I believe Derek has some side by sides that make me think it is very similar in size to the LN60.5