Thread: Kudos to Robust - extra long tool rests

Kudos to Robust - extra long tool rests

I am grateful that Robust is able to make custom length tool rests. The Grizzly G0800 is a 24" lathe with a banjo that may be slightly shorter than on other large lathes. The long tool rests are 3/8" below center at their highest point.

They are making a J rest and an inside curve rest with a total height of 8.75" on each. This is the size of the straight rest that comes with the lathe. No extra charge.

So this is both a report of excellent service and a note to owners of G0800 lathes.

Have a great day.

Brian Kent
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I am grateful that Robust is able to make custom length tool rests. The Grizzly G0800 is a 24" lathe with a banjo that may be slightly shorter than on other large lathes. The long tool rests are 3/8" below center at their highest point.

They are making a J rest and an inside curve rest with a total height of 8.75" on each. This is the size of the straight rest that comes with the lathe. No extra charge.

So this is both a report of excellent service and a note to owners of G0800 lathes.

Have a great day.

Brian Kent
    Thanks Brian for the tip. I have the Laguna 2436 and have noticed the same thing. I thought about ordering a Oneway banjo that appears to be much higher. My standard long post Robust rests are not quite long enough.

Carl, I wonder if in your case you might want to replace the tool rests and sell your current ones. I would expect you could get 75% of original value.

Are you talking about the post length? Seem to remember that the Grizzly was a bit shorter than the others...

robo hippy

Total length needs to be slightly longer than Robust's standard because the banjo is slightly shorter.

They made me 5 with a 1 1/8" post for my PM 90. Robust is an excellent company. I think of my rest as a start toward a Robust lathe.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Are you talking about the post length? Seem to remember that the Grizzly was a bit shorter than the others...

robo hippy
    How are the plans for your tool rest coming? I loved the prototype at Oregon!
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

My wife ordered one from Brent last month and -loves- it.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Down to getting the drill rod bent and treated, then welding it all together. Soon, I hope. Not sure how to deal with the longer posts for Grizzly, since I don't have the resources that Brent does.

robo hippy

Robust also makes a offset tool rest , the post is offset making the 15 inch tool rest, a lot longer. It measures 5.5 inch at center of post, leaving 9.5 inches to the right of post, or 9.5 inches inside the bowl, where you need it, for making larger bowls. This way the bowl doesn't hit the banjo. I just love it, I use it all the time. I have one on each lathe.

I noticed that robust sells a dog leg, wonder if that would provide sufficient extension to the toolrest to use standard long toolrest ?

Dog-Leg-Composite-300x300.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schneider View Post
    I noticed that robust sells a dog leg, wonder if that would provide sufficient extension to the toolrest to use standard long toolrest ?

Dog-Leg-Composite-300x300.jpg
    Just eyeballing it, I think the answer is Yes, that would be sufficient.
    Since I just ordered 2 extra-long rests, I won't buy the tool rest dog leg, but Reed, that might be the key to making yours useful on the big Griz.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 04-28-2017 at 7:52 PM.

I'm really interested in your rest shape.
    But ya for Ellen's Grizzly it would need to be 8-3/4 total height.