Thread: Question about tool cabinet placement, please.

Question about tool cabinet placement, please.

Hi.
    I have an 8'X8' room that serves as a small shop for clean work building guitars, repair, etc, but is also a music room. So there is a lot of stuff crammed into this space. I make use of every inch, even the walls.
    I have a small bit of wall space, about 2.5' X 7', that I would like to build an open cabinet for tools like planes, chisels, saws, etc and hang there. Right now my planes are on the bench, and I'd like to move them out of the way.
    The problem is that it is directly over the furnace vent.
    Do you foresee any problems which might arise from my tools hanging over the furnace vent?
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Much better spot than above an air conditioner. The vent should keep your tools warm, dry, and rust free.

Thank you. Sounds like a plan, then.
    Much appreciated.

Show pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Show pictures!
    I will. It will be a little while, though. I am just beginning to start hand tool work. I will be practicing dovetails, housing dados and mortise and tenon joints for a while until I have them down, before I start building anything of consequence, and that includes things like a cabinet for tools.
    I'll stat a new thread when the time comes.
    Thanks for reading and responding to my thread.

Getting as many tools into the cabinet as possible will really help your shop. Spend time and effort optimizing the design. Spread your tools on the bench or floor and make a measured drawing with them in it. Then you might get some cardboard and package tape and mock it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Getting as many tools into the cabinet as possible will really help your shop. Spend time and effort optimizing the design. Spread your tools on the bench or floor and make a measured drawing with them in it. Then you might get some cardboard and package tape and mock it up.

That sounds like a great idea!
    Thanks.

I recently made a 5 drawer chest-of-drawers for the Dungeon Shop.....stores a lot of goodies...er...tools.

I have a humidifier on my furnace so in the winter, it adds moisture to the air. Not sure i would want that blowing on my tools.