Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grizzly G 0507 20” bandsaw

Hello Jim,

The BIG day is tomorrow, I talked one of my neighbors into giving me a hand in attempting to mount the tire on the steel wheel. We'll find out just how good the rubber is and or how strong the glue is or how good my workmanship is? Its a shame you don't live closer by. I think I would enjoy working with you.

Boyd
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Gathwright View Post
    Hello Jim,

The BIG day is tomorrow, I talked one of my neighbors into giving me a hand in attempting to mount the tire on the steel wheel. We'll find out just how good the rubber is and or how strong the glue is or how good my workmanship is? Its a shame you don't live closer by. I think I would enjoy working with you.

Boyd

Well thank-you very much, Boyd. I live in Texas, just to the northwest of Houston - where are you? I do hope the experiment works out well for you.

Jim

So was it a success?

Hello John,

I can't talk right now but I'll get back later this evening or as soon I can with pic.

Boyd
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 05-06-2017 at 12:37 PM.

Hello Jim and John,

When it rains it pours, everything happens at once. I’ll start at the beginning, my neighbor came over Friday at noon and I went through all that we have experienced here and shared about this TIRE, and he had a pretty good idea of what we had to do, then we went to the shop. While I was digging out a small car tire and rim I have which we were going to deflate the tire and put the bandsaw TIRE on it and pressurize hopefully to expand the bandsaw TIRE up to approximately 21 to 22inches with soap and water as a lubricant. But before we got started,while I was busy getting things together he was inspecting the TIRE and found another serious unknown crack, see pics. Realizing we were not going to be able to attempt mounting the TIRE on the steel wheel today we decided to give the butt joint a pull-test, it took some pressure but came apart easily without to much trouble after curing for a couple of days, see the pics. And I thought we had a real good joint too, vulcanizing is probably the better way. So there you have it, to me, even though the rubber looks good apparently it just looks that way.

Now that we have given it our best efforts I’ll have to see what is available for this saw and then make a decision as to which direction to go, We gave it our best.

Jim, to answer your question in your POST (last) state of West Virginia. If you look to the right side of your POST on the screen toward the top there is addition information there; JOIN DATE, Number of POSTS etc.

Part of my tardiness here has been because we have been receiving so much rain lately and I have a large project going on and things needed to be shifted around and moved so I could do my work on the inside. My biggest enemy is that clock on the wall, it has a habit of just running away with everything.

Boyd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello, Boyd,

Well I'm sorry the repair attempt didn't work out for you. My guess is that the whole tire has deteriorated, since it started to fail in another spot. If it is actually ordinary rubber, it should stretch appreciably - like an inner tube - without breaking. I enlarged a couple of your photos and I can just make out where the cyanoacrylate has actually pulled small pieces out of the joint surfaces, so I'm thinking the rubber has become crumbly for one reason or another.

I suppose your best bet now would be to just replace it - either with an OEM part or some sort of substitute like urethane. If you use something other than an OEM tire, you probably will have to glue it to the wheel. That raised ridge on the inside of the tire fits into a groove in the wheel rim and helps keep it from sliding off. Without it you'll have to glue a tire to keep it in place.

Jim

Smile

UPDATE:

It took a while,but, I found a reasonable source for my 20” bandsaw tire. I purchased a set of two from PEACHTREE WOODWORKING SUPPLY Inc. located in Georgia. The charge was about half the cost of what everyone else wanted for just one, $45.00 plus $9.00 USPS shipping. I was more interested in the fact that it was a urethane tire and NOT rubber.The instructions were simple, placed the welded joint on the wheel and stretched the tire on both sides until you have it on. Did it all my myself.

Glad to hear that you are back in business. Does the replacement tire have the rib on the inside that the original had?

Hello John, No, Peachtree talked with Grizzly, neither the rib nor the crown matters in this case. The saw is up and running and doing well.

Smile Second Bandsaw Tire Replacement - Grizzly G0507 20” bandsaw

Second Bandsaw Tire Replacement - Grizzly G0507 20” bandsaw

Well it’s happened again, this time it’s the lower wheel tire. The other day I threw the switch and I heard this awful thrashing sound. At first I thought the blade had broken. I opened the upper door and I saw about 6 to 8 inches of the black rubber tire from the bottom on the shelf under the wheel! So I opened up the bottom door and there laid a large piece along with several smaller pieces of the lower rubber tire laying in the bottom of the cabinet. I cleaned up the mess and got out the second half of the pair of Urethane tires I bought several months ago and installed the new tire in about 10 – 15 minutes.

I have included a pic to show how easy it is to install a Urethane tire with two strong flat, sticks of wood, in working the Urethane tire on the wheel, just like installing an inner-tube on a bicycle.

I started replacing the lower tire by using a plywood stick approx. 1/2” thick, 1” wide and some 21” long. I attached it to the wheel AFTER placing the Urethane tire on the top half of the wheel ( see pic ) and clamping it on both sides with Two (3”) C clamps keeping the top portion of the tire on the wheel from coming off. Then take your two sticks ( mentioned above ) and stretching the Urethane tire and working the tire on to the wheel. One person can do this in approx. 10 to 15 minutes or less. It would be nice to have a third hand to hold the wheel from turning while getting the tire on the wheel.

Note: Like the first tire, age and colder temperatures in the shop and not using the saw for days at a time seemed to be the culprit here causing the original rubber tires to break apart. Also, now that both upper and lower wheels have Urethane tires, the saw now runs extremely smooth, NOT a hint of any wavering very smooth and true running.

P1040061smc.JPG
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 11-20-2017 at 2:21 AM.

Glad you got it running smooth,
    I hope I can do the same with my machine.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    When a $25 tire; http://store.woodworkerstoolworks.com/20-tire/ breaks and wipes out a $250 carbide blade it won't seem like heresy. Stuff wears out, sometimes its best to just replace it and move on.
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    Glad you got it running smooth,
    I hope I can do the same with my machine.
    Good luck
    Agreed...Band saw is hugely useful