Thread: Mobile Tool Stand question

Mobile Tool Stand question

I plan to make a tool stand for an oscillating spindle sander (Delta) and a 1" x 42" belt/disk sander. The construction will be 2 x material for the frame and 1/2" plywood for the walls. The cabinet will have a large door so I can store all my sandpaper inside - even sandpaper that isn't used for either of those sanders. I just want it all in one place instead of all over my shop like it is now.

So I expect the top to be about 18" x 36" or so. I haven't put the two sanders together and measured yet so I'm just guessing.

Will a 3/4" ply top be solid enough or should I double it up? Maybe two layers of 1/2"?

I don't want to build the thing and then find out the top is bouncy. I think 3/4" should be fine. Depending on how long the longest dimension of the top is I may add a support below the middle of the top going across short-ways.

Thanks,

- Paul

Blog Entries
    Knowing the weight of the sanders would help. If you built in drawers instead of just adding a door, a center divider could reinforce the top. For my drum sander (200+ lbs) I wanted the drawers full width. I would do two rows if I did it again. To accomplish this I made a torsion box for the top (and for the bottom to resist torque as this is a mobile base that would be moved every time I use it) using 3/4" for the top skins, 1-1/4" ribs and 1/4" opposite skins. Here's a rough diagram with the side off:

19-38-stand(9).jpg
    It gets rolled around several times a week and is still rock solid after almost 3 years. This would be overkill if the sanders are only 40 or 50 lbs each. You could certainly support the 1/2" ply between two saw horses and set the sanders on it to determine the sag.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks like a nice cart. The total weight of the tools is probably right around 100 lbs. I have a whole lot of sandpaper which will probably add another 25 lbs or so. But that will be inside.

I'm not up for building drawers. I need to get this done as fast as possible.

Thanks!