Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cutting Boards

I use howards a lot, usually with several soaks in mineral oil first (Its cheaper!!) Let the Howards soak in over night then polish it off, I try to use several coats of howards, it seems like it soaks in the more coats I put on.

Blog Entries
    I'm happy to say the cutting board is dry and ready to go. I appreciate the tip about Howards.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I'm happy to say the cutting board is dry and ready to go. I appreciate the tip about Howards.
    Here is the board. It is made of Mesquite and treated with Howards butcher block treatment.

002 (Large).JPG
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-09-2017 at 1:46 PM.

As originally a native South Texan before migrating to the hills, I appreciate the Mesquite. Nice result on a simple, useful gizmo. Good on you Lowell.
    David

Blog Entries
    I am new to soaking my maple end grain boards with mineral oil. I gave it a try and...

1) It really darkened it up. The first one I did, I just finished it with a butcher block conditioner and it came out really light colored. I like it a lot.
    2) When do you apply the beeswax + mineral oil after the soak? I soaked my board for maybe 30 seconds (?) with 140 F ish oil. That was like 4 days ago and I'm still seeing oil on the surface (capillary effect?). Did I screw up or is the Standard Operating Procedure to wait a month? If so, I'm not too excited about this method. Maybe the soak was for long grain cutting boards? Did I just effectively screw up my entire cutting board? I can't see how this thing is every going to 'dry out' enough to not feel moist to the touch.

Cheers and thanks,

Previous (no soaking / finished in a few coats of butcher block conditioner):
    IMG_1552_small.jpg

Current (Soaked in mineral oil at 140 F. 4 or 5 days afterward. Photo taken after 10 to 15 minutes in sun. Note how wet it is!):
    0523171559.jpg

0523171600.jpg
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 05-23-2017 at 6:17 PM.

Andrew, no need to soak them and no need to heat the oil - I just pour some on, let it adsorb, rub it in and repeat a few times until it doesn't adsorb. Leave overnight and then I use the hot beeswax/oil mix rubbed in and all finished. I think MTMWood on YouTube has several examples of how to finish a board if you need more info. The board isn't screwed up, will just take longer to dry. Not sure I would leave it in the sun. I just cover mine with paper towels and leave it inside at room temp. The darkness is temporary and will lighten over time indicating time for more oil