Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Boards

Blog Entries
    After very little discussion, I am going along with SWMBO and making the cutting boards.

They will be made out of mesquite Wood. I will make the finish in accordance with this Link.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip49.html

Any comments? I would appreciate it.

Go for it. Be sure to report back after awhile with results.

I use Howards butcher block conditioner which is mineral oil and wax.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    I use Howards butcher block conditioner which is mineral oil and wax.
    Thanks Mark. That is what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    They regulate cutting boards???? The tiny bit of faith in humanity that I was holding on to has been lost.
    Not only do they regulate them, in some places they are not allowed at all in a commercial setting. We once did a project in Las Vegas where they have (had?) a county specific ordinance that prohibited wood surfaces in commercial kitchens. We had to junk a 72" Boos block topped SS worktable in favor of one that was totally stainless and the staff were expected to use plastic composite cutting boards. I also remember we had to remove all the garbage disposal units because there was a moratorium on those too, not sure why.

You can make a lot of butcher block conditioner by just melting some beeswax in mineral oil - works fine. Also straight mineral oil works fine but doesn't give you the sheen of the conditioner

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    You can make a lot of butcher block conditioner by just melting some beeswax in mineral oil - works fine. Also straight mineral oil works fine but doesn't give you the sheen of the conditioner
    Do you have a rough ratio you use? I'm interested...

Also, as a general question: How long does the butcher block last before the customer has to re-apply some conditioner on their own?

EDIT:

I found some sources for making your own conditioner:

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/...her-block.html
    https://andreasrecipes.com/beeswax-p...utcher-blocks/
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 05-03-2017 at 5:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post

I use just mineral oil.

Also, as a general question: How long does the butcher block last before the customer has to re-apply some conditioner on their own?

Sister in Law entertains and cooks like a fiend. Uses her bord for nearly every dinner-type meal. She wipes her's with mineral spirits a few times a year and the board is years old.

EDIT:

Replies above in blue.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post

EDIT:

I use 4 Oil to 1 Wax, Andrew. Generally, once the block is loaded up ready for use, re-apply once per week for the first month (the board will start to fade in color so the owner will know when to re-apply) and then monthly or when the board starts to fade

I was amazed to find the CFR contained a passage about cutting boards.

21 CFR part 1 contains:

4-101.17 Wood, Use Limitation.

• (A) Except as specified in ¶¶ (B), (C), and (D) of this section, wood and wood wicker may not be used as a food-contact surface.
    • (B) Hard maple or an equivalently hard, close-grained wood may be used for:
      1. (1) Cutting boards; cutting blocks; bakers' tables; and utensils such as rolling pins, doughnut dowels, salad bowls, and chopsticks; and
      2. (2) Wooden paddles used in confectionery operations for pressure scraping kettles when manually preparing confections at a temperature of 110°C (230°F) or above.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hagerty View Post
    I was amazed to find the CFR contained a passage about cutting boards.

21 CFR part 1 contains:

4-101.17 Wood, Use Limitation.

• (A) Except as specified in ¶¶ (B), (C), and (D) of this section, wood and wood wicker may not be used as a food-contact surface.
    • (B) Hard maple or an equivalently hard, close-grained wood may be used for:
      1. (1) Cutting boards; cutting blocks; bakers' tables; and utensils such as rolling pins, doughnut dowels, salad bowls, and chopsticks; and
      2. (2) Wooden paddles used in confectionery operations for pressure scraping kettles when manually preparing confections at a temperature of 110°C (230°F) or above.
    Sean,
    My sentiments are to use maple. SWMBO has spoken and said mesquite. I will probably make two boards, one of each species and coat them with the cutting board finish. That way, I can't be wrong.

Blog Entries
    I have decided to make two boards, one using mesquite and one using maple. That way she can use the one she likes.

I don't think the lady will cut on the board. I will advise here to use the maple board if she is going to cut.

Blog Entries
    I coated the board with Howards butcher block conditioner. The finish is a bit tacky, any suggestions?

Give it a day or two to dry.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I coated the board with Howards butcher block conditioner. The finish is a bit tacky, any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Thanks for responding.