Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which sander to flatten a slab?

Which sander to flatten a slab?

I need to sand the top of a large slab even, in my own shop using a hand-held tool.

I have used a belt sander before, but it's slow going. I got to thinking about a floor edger (first photo), or the Festool Rotex.

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 12.01.55 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 12.02.41 PM.png

It's been a long time since I used a floor edger but I think I remember them being fairly controllable. I haven't used a Festool Rotex.
    The slab was surfaced way back, but since then it has twisted a little. I don't want to use a router and sled - this wood is very brittle and chips out so much with a router - it's Blackheart Sassafras with the grain running at maybe 20* across on the edge. Nice looking wood but I'm not real used to working with tropical lumber.

I'd love to hear for any of you with more wisdom on this than me, which really opens up the field, which way you'd go on this.

thank you, Mark

Honestly, IMO if you want to go the sander route, a drum sander would be a better bet. I use it to flatten table tops and glue up panels all the time.

I have no experience with floor sanders so no input from me there.

The Rotex is a great sander and might work if you buy the hard pad for it. The rotex mode should eat away at the high spots fairly quickly.

Or you could forego using a sander at all and use a router with a sled-type jig. See this article:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2011/...n-no-time-flat

Plane and cabinet scraper?

What John said. A router sled will flatten any size slab and leave it smooth enough that all you need from there is a ROS. The router sled is stupid simple to build and use with about zero chance of failure - perfect in my world.

John

He said he didn't want to use router and sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    I don't want to use a router and sled - this wood is very brittle and chips out so much with a router

thank you, Mark

Oops, my bad for not reading carefully.

I have used the RO 150 extensively for just what you are wanting to do. It works great, and I also own a 24" drum sander. Latest project was mesquite.

Get the hard pad and use in "Rotex Mode". Start with course paper and work up. There is a learning curve, keep pressure on that pad. I also recommend getting the auxiliary handle costs a little more but helps a lot.

This is the most used sander I own. I just color sanded and polished a car I painted. The variety of pads, spacers etc is extraordinary. I actually polished the mesquite desk to 1500 grit. You could see yourself in the reflection without any finish.

Practice on something else first because the rotex mode is aggressive. Watch a video on YouTube

Bill

I think I would get some 40 grit and 60 grit and try the floor sander first. Its made for hogging off deeper cuts.

But - the random orbital would probably do well if thats what you have.

The trouble with either is that you will have to use winding sticks or some such to verify you arent just sanding along the curve.

The cool thing about the RO 150 is that you can take it all the way from rough to finish. Though I do prefer a finish sander - the ETS150/3 for example - for the 2 or 3 grits of final finish - the RO will do it too if you have learned to control it. Control gets much easier as you process from rough to smooth.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

First, I am a person that likes to do most things myself and am kind of a McGeiver. But I would probably call around to find a cabinet or furniture building shop that has a large drum/belt sander. I'm guessing that they would not charge a lot to run your slab through a few times.

The reason why I suggest this (even though it is out of character for me) is that when sanding surfaces with smaller devices, the softer wood gets removed more quickly than the harder wood. So with the smaller sanders, they will leave low areas and the surface will never really be flat. With a commercial belt sander you have the best chance for a pretty flat surface. Maybe they could sand up to something like 220 grit and leave you to do additional sanding should you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoang N Nguyen View Post
    He said he didn't want to use router and sled.
    IMHO it won't chip out if you use a climb cut, and that's perfectly safe to do with the router sled. In fact, that's how I use it all the time. 1/2" straight bit, climb cut, shallow cuts about half the bit width.

John

Blog Entries
    You could do the trick the Shipwright did, carefully tune an electric plane so it only removes a few thousandths and go at it. Episode 26, about 8 minutes in. An earlier episode tells how the tunes the plane for flatness. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGjFQjss5bE&t=304s
    NOW you tell me...

If you are flattening for a table and perfectiOn is not necessary just use a belt sander. It is actually quite good at finding highs and lows. Just don't tip or dig in. Keep it moving.

you can rent a floor sander get either the rectangular pad type or the multiple ros in a frame. How big is this slab.
    Bil lD.