Thread: Cnc Cutting MDF - Very mess product to use.

Cnc Cutting MDF - Very mess product to use.

Hello Everyone,

We received a contract a few weeks ago to make small MDF parts (3/8" Thick) We have to make a ton of them over 10k. The problem is MDF is so messy - it has ended up everywhere, around our machines to pallet racking and on products. We upgraded our dust collector, added a dust filter to the area and we are still getting dust. Is this stuff just crappy to work with ?? Ive used it a few years ago and told my self to never use it again but the money was right for this job.
    Any suggest from someone who has used this in a production shop would be great. Not sure if this is just how it is when working with this materiel. I like the pricing ($10 per sheet) just dont like the dust and mess it makes. We cant see any dust from the machines but when we come in the mornings after cleaning up at the end of the previous day its all over. I normally dont require everyone to wear face mask but with stuff I think its a good idea.

We normally only work with plywood and acrylic and its fine - little to no dust or mess.
    Last edited by Robert Bonenfant; 04-27-2017 at 5:48 PM.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

MDF is NASTY stuff.
    I don't see any other option than to require everyone in your shop to wear a face mask for the duration of your job.
    I have never seen a shop that had a dust collection system that could collect MDF dust and have air that is safe to breathe.

There is a massive difference between good and standard and crap MDF. I wouldn't have believed it years ago but then I purchased some Medex MDF and the difference between that and the stuff you get at Home Depot is huge.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

What dust shoe do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    What dust shoe do you use?
    I was wondering that too. I cut a fair amount of MDF and don't see a huge problem with stray dust. I also run an overhead JDS filter. Keith, if you are still running the stock Camaster shoe, trash it, you can do a lot better.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You might check with the folks at Clearvue Cyclones (www.clearvuecyclones.com). The original Clearvue Cyclone owner's son has or had a business venture involving CNC machining (routing) of MDF and I recall him noting that he was able to successfully collect 55 gal. drums of MDF dust using their cyclone dust collectors.................!! And as a previous owner of a Clearvue Cyclone, I can testify that they really suck up the dust!

Paul in Auburn, WA

I like my KentCNC dust shoe setup. My dc is a 5hp single stage delta with a 5" sprial pipe line up overhead to the center of table , two long sweep 90s in that run, a coupler for 5 to 4, to a 4" spiral hose, down to a kentcnc shoe.

I worked at a shop that cut tons of MDF the standard was ok but the Plum Creek didn't cause very much dust at all. We had 2 Beisse's one a pod and rail the other a nested table plus a beam saw and the dust was minimum for the standard and almost none for the Plum Creek. We would fill a 55 gallon drum in about a day

Hey Ross thanks for the tip calling my distributor on Monday to see if they can get Medex MDF - I think we are using standard MDF ($10 ea for 4x8' Skid Price)

We are using the standard dust shoe that was supplied with the machine - Thanks for the tip about the JDS filter, I just ordered one from JDStools - We have a delta currently but its sitting on a bench and not in the air. The new one Ill have mounted by the sanding area.

We have a 1.5 hp jet cyclone dust collector, we just upgrade to a larger 5 hp Laguna cyclone but hasn't arrived yet. We currently fill the Jets 20 Gallon drum about 2-4 times a day Depending on If the routers are running all day.

The problem we have been seeing, is its hard to get chips from the MDF and get a smooth edge - Right now we get a nice edge with amana 1/4" Down-cut bits but its make fine dust. When we cut plywood we create small chips and its not that bad. The settings we use for MDF are - 18K Rpm, 440 IPM, 12 HP Spindle. The main dust comes when we remove the sheet and items - We remove the parts first and then vacuum the pockets but theirs always alittle bit of dust left. Im gonna play with the Machine settings tomorrow to see if I can cut the MDF and create larger chips - Maybe if I slow the Rpms down It will help.

Thanks for the Help Everyone - This is why I like Sawmill forums so much
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC

Here is an example of an industrial machine cutting MDF door panels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCYBG09clG4&t=340s I think this is a reasonable result considering they are routing the panel of a MDF cabinet door. I hate cleaning up after my machine, so I have watched lots of examples of the industrial machines. The key is the distance between the boot and the surface and the DC size. You can see in this example they have an air cylinder that they can adjust the boot height for different tools. They are moving the boot up/down for the video in this example. I bet that machine has a 15hp+ DC and a 6" or 8" boot connection. I bet this is what Jerome has used at the various shops he mentioned. I have a 5hp cyclone and I am still cleaning up behind mine. Someday I will put on a air cylinder and a better boot, but that will take a solenoid and some programming for tool changes.

Medex is exterior grade and is more expensive. Plum creek seems to be a common one mentioned by US cab shops. I have had good luck with West Fraser and a few others that come from cabinet suppliers here in Canada. The worst stuff I tried to cut was a dark almost grey color that came from the local hardware stores. It cut well, but the my DC couldn't pull out much during the cut, and goop I had to clean up after was awful. If your supplier cannot tell you where the product comes from so you can check the specs, I would move on. The key is finding a named supplier. When the typical hardware supplier needs material their purchasing agent send out request for quotes, and the low bid gets the job always. I have asked many times where the material comes from at the local shops and they cannot tell me. That is annoying because the cabinet suppliers I like are a long ways away from me and I cannot just grab a few pieces when I need.

Your chipload is very low at those settings. Slowing down the RPM or speeding up your cut speed is going to help the tool life. How was the cut quality with an upcut? That will improve your DC problem. It is pretty hard not to get the chips wedged in the cut slot with a down cut if you have an undersized DC system.
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 04-30-2017 at 1:10 AM.

What micron are filtering down to with your current system? If it's 5 micron then your DC may be picking up the dust but your DC filter is throwing it back into the room. Just curious...
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram