Thread: Discontinued blade?? Why?

Discontinued blade?? Why?

I came across a DW3282 blade for sale at a good price and cannot find any info on it other than the package. That hints that the blade must have been discontinued quite some time ago since there's none on the internet. I'd like to 1) know if anyone out there has used this particular blade and if there have been any safety concerns (flying carbide teeth?). The blade is a 24T carbide, 8-1/2", package indicates a -5 degree hook (think sliding miter saw), with a 5/8" arbor. It is packaged as a DeWalt Industrial saw blade.

I have a 60T low hook fine finish blade for the good stuff and want a less expensive blade for when I am cutting a bunch of construction lumber, 2x4s and 2x6s to length on a 9" radial arm saw.

Any info is appreciated; DeWalt Cust service told me the could not find anything on the blade on Google-DUH!

It is an odd blade. The size is aimed at some miter saws. And the negative hook is also aimed at miter saws. But the 24-tooth ATB aspect is more like a rip blade, while a miter saw is a crosscut machine. Maybe somebody at DeWalt got their specs confused, and DeWalt tried to sell the result anyhow.

Negative hook is great for RA saws as I am sure you know. I would try it if it is not too expensive. I have a 24T rip blade I use on my TS and it does not do a bad job of cross cutting on rough stuff at all.
    David

I have a Dewalt 1707 8.5 inch slider that that blade fits. When I had to buy a replacement blade it was about $150 I think I paid about $500 for the saw at the time but it was the only one that would do the job at the time. I used it for 3 years doing Revco Drug Stores and it paid for itself many times over.

Thanks guys. I came across one other aspect that encouraged me to go ahead and buy it. The blade says made in the UK and I found an old article speaking of DeWalt blades being introduced (2003) that were being made in a factory near Sheffield (maybe Maltby?). Expectations were high. I have had very smooth cuts from framing blades (7.25") with 24T, both Makita and Pirhana (B&D). I'll try this for X cutting softwood construction stuff and save the 60T Freud for the furniture projects and woods. I just bought an old DeWalt 925DLX that I may need to spend a few $$ tuning up so I'm trying to not invest too much into a couple blades during the honeymoon. We shall see down the line what earns preference, but I've had good luck with DeWalt construction blades in the 10" size. Ill go with the theory that since I cannot find any info online about the DW3282, that there was at least no recall/ safety issues. I was a bit surprised to find a negative hook angle on a blade that I think was made 12-13 yrs ago. I don't know when negative hook came into production for SCMS and RAS but I used a RAS safely for 30 yrs (until 4 yrs ago) and just recently discover the hook spec. I just held on tight and drew forward carefully. Thanks for the talk!