Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for simple can crusher

looking for simple can crusher

I am looking for a simple plan to build an aluminum can crusher. I have one from Lee Valley that crushes cans to look like a hockey puck.
    But here in Saskatchewan Sarcan will no longer except cans that look like hockey pucks. They have to be crushed length ways. They say they can not grade them when the look like a puck
    Thanks
    ​​​​​​​Al

I just put it on the ground and stomp on it. Free and you can smash it into any shape you want. I hadn't heard that some companies now don't want them smashed like pucks.
    Mark Patoka
    Stafford, VA

LOL - Hard to believe they don't like hockey puck shaped cans in Canada.

ya I know go figure eh
    Al

Blog Entries
    The shredding machines get jammed by the hockey puck cans.

It could also be that it is easier to conceal sand and rocks in the hockey pucks than it is in a flat can.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm thinking you just take the "can to puck" design and widen it. There might need to be something to keep the can in place so it doesn't roll out but seems it could work here in my mind.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Mine is size 11.
    Lay the can on the concrete shop floor and apply downward pressure.
    Been working well for years.

I bought ours from Lee Valley...which is a Canadian company, as you know.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Go to Amazon and search using "aluminum can crusher" as the search phrase.

Here's one of a couple I found https://www.amazon.com/Commercial-Zo...m+can+crushers
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I bought ours from Lee Valley...which is a Canadian company, as you know.
    I have the same crusher. It's had a lot of cans through it... I glued a piece of 1/8" neoprene to the bottom to keep the cans from slipping, making it much improved!

Unfortunately, it will not crush the cans horizontal.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Seems to me you could build one pretty easily - a few pieces of 2xs for the press top and bottom, a couple of rods with springs set up between the two rods and a bar mechanism or handle to leverage the pieces together. Probably would need to screw or clamp to a surface or make the bottom piece quite heavy. A finishing touch would be to slightly hollow the press pieces so that they somewhat cradle the cans. Hey - soon to be on QVC

EDIT -

Upgrade to simplicity. 2 boards, 2 posts with springs. Ideally - boards lightly hollowed. Set system on floor. Add can victim. Step on top board. Remove crushed can. Have fun
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 04-29-2017 at 1:59 PM. Reason: See above
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

To me it seems the round ends would be the problem. It is thicker than the walls and inherently a stronger shape, when trying to crush flat perpendicular to its solid form.

I would change the angle of the ends by using one of the designs already mentioned, but adding a small wedge or dowel to the middle of the top "crusher face" perpendicular to the length.
    It would contact the top side wall first, bending it inwards and forcing the ends down a few degrees so they are no longer perpendicular to the crushing forces.

when you take into account the added thickness at the ends from the extra layer of metal, it may be not much different than the thickness of the wedge.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Blog Entries
    Another reason for returnable cans.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    I've always wondered if you could build a crusher with two metal plates. Check out the link below. We have two metal plates forming a v shape one plate moves in and out crushing the can just a bit each time and each time the can falls a bit deeper into the v. You could feed such a device continuously and the cans are crushed lengthwise.

http://gizmoplans.com/can-crusher-plans-0

Run 'em over

Get a couple of 2x6s and fasten them together length wise ( L ), and put a stop on one end.

Line your cans up along the length and drive you car/truck/ riding mover down the board.

Note: If you have an incline on your driveway, that will help keep the cans from rolling off the open end.

That’s how the guy on The Red Green Show would handle it but he’d probably just duct tape the boards together.