Thread: Friday Road Trip

Cool Friday Road Trip

To pick up two GrandBRATS....stopped at a little store in Brandt, OH on the way....

Walked back to the van, having spent $11.....to buy just two items...
    DSCF0003.JPG
    WS 4" x 24" backsaw. And that fancy pants drill..
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Millers Falls No. 104, aka Buck Rogers. Handle was empty, but everything else looked good.

Slight trace of some sort of etch....medallion merely has "Warranted Superior" , but will need to clean it up a bit to find anything else. Nothing broken, nor bent. Was missing one bolt in the handle....no biggie.

Turned my nose up at the plane shaped objects....none were worth picking up off the shelf.

Trying to figure out the backsaw.....
    Was missing one saw bolt, had a replacement of sorts, until I find the correct size...
    Disston? Doen't quite seem like one of theirs..
    Simonds? Did they made one that had this sort of handle?
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Medallion does say Warranted Superior, but the ring around inside the words, is empty. They are stars, not the chain-like ring Disston used. Hardware is brass plated steel.
    Atkins? There is no "Pheonix" involved.

teeth have a LOT of set, 11ppi. plate is straight, teeth appear to have been sharpened. It is VERY sharp.
    Spent $7 on this saw...might be worth it? It should fit my Stanley #2246 Mitre Box I have in the shop. I currently use a Disston/HK Porter 4 x 24 in it now. Looks like I now have a "spare" saw...this latest saw seems to cut better than the freshly sharpened porter saw.....may switch things around a bit...

As for the drill, already have the drill points. the drill was the rest of the $11 I spent that day. Nothing broken, only missing item was the drill points. One spot of rust on the chuck. Has almost zero noise in the gears. has a "Model No. 104' stamped into the red Tenite handle, right where it meets the main body. I could always add a drop or two of oil as needed...

Not too bad a day, better than what I found at the Garage sales that day.

Handle seems a bit "blocky" to me......that MAY get changed, IF it is to stay in my shop..

It MIGHT be a Disston....post WW2 era, before HK Porter bought them out?

From the looks of it, it might have set a little too long in its mitre box ( now long gone) as there are two areas that match where the guides used to be....seller seems to have sanded them clean. The one in front of the handle, and one out near where an etch might have been. There is no nail hole out on the toe end of the spine. My others have that little hole. You'd insert a nail through the hole, to keep the saw from pulling back too far.

Still, for $7...not too bad of a saw. It is 24" along the spine, NOT the tooth-line. The last 2" weren't used in a mitre box, so why even make them. Made for a slightly lighter saw.

Have cleaned the plate on the saw.....no etch found. Warranted Superior ones rarely did, anyway. No biggie. Set up my Stanley #2246 Mitre Box on the bench. Had to adjust the depth stops a bit, as this one cuts a bit deeper than the other 4x24 saw I use in it. Test drive on a piece of Pine scrap......my,my,my......almost like a new saw!

hardware on the saw was brass plated....meh, may get some real brass ones, someday. Spine had raised up a bit back by the handle, simple matter to tap it back down. Might be a keeper...

Good thing you found those, you surely do not have enough drills or saws in your shop now!

Interesting looking "fancy pants" drill.

Nice finds!

Fancy pants was also called the Buck Rogers line of drills. There was a larger one of these, the No. 308. Mine is the No. 104, and will go up to 1/4" drill bits.

Now, about this saw..
    DSCF0003.JPG
    Cleaned up and test drove in my Stanley #2246 Mitre Box...
    DSCF0001.JPG
    Seems to be a little bit older than the Disston/HK Porter 4" x 24" saw I already have.
    There is a full 4" under the spine, had to raise the depth stops up a hair..
    DSCF0002.JPG
    Otherwise, it cuts into the deck.
    Miter Box is a Stanley..
    DSCF0004.JPG
    No. 2246. Saw was $7, the No.100 drill was $4.....not a bad day..