Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Free ship minimum now $35

Amazon is now doing to Walmart what Walmart did to the locally owned stores over the last 20 years. I think that is poetic justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Anyone notice Amazon has lowered the free shipping minimum down to $35 from $49?
    Google search says they did it in response to Walmart.
    Walmart has been my choice for ordering on line for about the last year. No minimum for ship to store and my package does not sit on my front step all day.
    Amazon kinda lost me when they went to prime membership. I needed a hand tool for work. Amazon had it but was unable to order it because it was a Prime Member exclusive price. Had the same thing happen on a kids wagon I wanted to order for a gift. Only available to Prime Members. Walmart matched the price next day. No membership fee.
    Just ordered a pair of shoes from Amazon. During the order process they asked a few times to join Prime for free two day shipping. After refusing they offered 4 day shipping for a few extra bucks I refused again. Received my package with free shipping in 3 days.
    I do like and buy most if not all my digital music, magazines from Amazon.
    I used to really like Amazon, but the last few orders have left me wondering. The last order took 8 days before they shipped it. I added an extra item to get up to the $35 limit, so maybe they were shipping items between warehouses. I felt like they held my package hostage because I am not a Prime member. I shop elsewhere most of the time now.

Steve

We seem to be buying more and more stuff from Amazon lately as Prime members. I feel guilty every time the UPS guy makes it up our long, steep driveway. If I could get them to deliver groceries that would be even better. I agree with others that you have to check and make sure the prices offered at Amazon are competitive though. Sometimes they're not. Also check the "also offered by" tab in small print below. I recently purchased a Geiger's wheel dresser that was offered on Amazon for just under $90. Geiger's current model is about $120. The small tab directed me to a seller offering the same thing for less than $30. I couldn't believe it!

When I can order through Prime and get the item on a Sunday, I was sold...and shocked.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Just be aware that using the "also offered by" option, you are not buying from Amazon and their return and shipping policies do not apply. If you have a bad experience, it is not Amazon's responsibility. I mostly try to avoid buying from non Amazon stores on Amazon because I have had bad experiences doing that more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    We seem to be buying more and more stuff from Amazon lately as Prime members. I feel guilty every time the UPS guy makes it up our long, steep driveway. If I could get them to deliver groceries that would be even better. I agree with others that you have to check and make sure the prices offered at Amazon are competitive though. Sometimes they're not. Also check the "also offered by" tab in small print below. I recently purchased a Geiger's wheel dresser that was offered on Amazon for just under $90. Geiger's current model is about $120. The small tab directed me to a seller offering the same thing for less than $30. I couldn't believe it!

It boggles my mind how few people pay attention to the seller.

And Amazon will deliver groceries. I haven't comparison shopped anything though. Kroger lets you order online and pick up in the parking lot here now. We haven't tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    It boggles my mind how few people pay attention to the seller.

And Amazon will deliver groceries. I haven't comparison shopped anything though. Kroger lets you order online and pick up in the parking lot here now. We haven't tried it.

Meijer here in Cincinnati just started delivering groceries last week. Available 24 hrs a day.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I have Prime and enjoy it and think it is worth it, but it is worth it to check out some other competitors. Jet.com has free shipping and at times has prices much better than Amazon.

edit: jet.com is not the tool company. They sell a broad range of products.
    Last edited by Paul Saffold; 05-02-2017 at 8:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    I have Prime and enjoy it and think it is worth it, but it is worth it to check out some other competitors. Jet.com has free shipping and at times has prices much better than Amazon.

edit: jet.com is not the tool company. They sell a broad range of products.
    Jet.com is owned by Walmart. At least you don't have to tolerate Walmart stores and people.

They are now down to $25.

Nothing quite like good old fashioned competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Jet.com is owned by Walmart. At least you don't have to tolerate Walmart stores and people.
    There was a good article in Business Week this week about Wal-Mart and it's purchase of Jet.com. They claim they're going to take on, and beat, Amazon.

Having been involved with acquisitions when I was working, I'm skeptical. The guy who was heading jet.com is now in charge of Walmart's web effort and has "merged" the development staff of Walmart's old web efforts with the development staff from jet.com. Those staff merges never go well. The jet.com people will resent losing their stock options and having to work for "big company" with lots of rules and processes, and the Walmart staff will feel marginalized.

My guess is that the jet.com guy will collect a lot of money (and then leave the company) and Walmart will not achieve their goal of overcoming Amazon.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    There was a good article in Business Week this week about Wal-Mart and it's purchase of Jet.com. They claim they're going to take on, and beat, Amazon.

Having been involved with acquisitions when I was working, I'm skeptical. The guy who was heading jet.com is now in charge of Walmart's web effort and has "merged" the development staff of Walmart's old web efforts with the development staff from jet.com. Those staff merges never go well. The jet.com people will resent losing their stock options and having to work for "big company" with lots of rules and processes, and the Walmart staff will feel marginalized.

My guess is that the jet.com guy will collect a lot of money (and then leave the company) and Walmart will not achieve their goal of overcoming Amazon.

Mike
    Walmart's web site sucks anyhow, it is a completely separate company from Walmart itself, if you order something on the website to be picked up in store, there's a whole ton of crap that has to go on in order for you to get the website price. I suspect jet.com won't be any more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Walmart's web site sucks anyhow, it is a completely separate company from Walmart itself, if you order something on the website to be picked up in store, there's a whole ton of crap that has to go on in order for you to get the website price. I suspect jet.com won't be any more efficient.

I order laser-jet cartage through Walmart.com as it is way cheaper than the shelf price in store. Order online at the stated price and pick up in store (Prepaid through the web site) Why are you having to jump through hoops to get the on-line price?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I order laser-jet cartage through Walmart.com as it is way cheaper than the shelf price in store. Order online at the stated price and pick up in store (Prepaid through the web site) Why are you having to jump through hoops to get the on-line price?
    It only works if you do it that way. If you walk into a store, they will not pricematch from their own website.

Today Amazon lowered free shipping to $25. The good old days are back.
    - Rick Dale