Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Free ship minimum now $35

Amazon Free ship minimum now $35

Anyone notice Amazon has lowered the free shipping minimum down to $35 from $49?
    Google search says they did it in response to Walmart.
    Walmart has been my choice for ordering on line for about the last year. No minimum for ship to store and my package does not sit on my front step all day.
    Amazon kinda lost me when they went to prime membership. I needed a hand tool for work. Amazon had it but was unable to order it because it was a Prime Member exclusive price. Had the same thing happen on a kids wagon I wanted to order for a gift. Only available to Prime Members. Walmart matched the price next day. No membership fee.
    Just ordered a pair of shoes from Amazon. During the order process they asked a few times to join Prime for free two day shipping. After refusing they offered 4 day shipping for a few extra bucks I refused again. Received my package with free shipping in 3 days.
    I do like and buy most if not all my digital music, magazines from Amazon.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Amazon Prime subscribers hit 80M, up from 63M last June. They must be doing something right.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I love Amazon Prime and get my money worth with two day free shipping and deliver on Sunday.

My mailman is a lot busier.

Amazon lowered their shipping when Walmart announced free shipping.

John

Yes, Amazon Prime is a fantastic deal if you order a lot and like watching movies.
    For me I don't watch many movies so that part is no deal for me.
    I prefer not to have the item I ordered sit on my door step all day. Walmart is across the street from work so I can run in and out for order pickup in no time.
    I know this has more to do with my location to the warehouse. But why pay $100 a year for 2 day shipping when I get a lot of my orders in 3 days.
    Amazon does have excellent customer service if a problem is had
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

It might just be me, but $100 a year to not have to set foot in walmart is a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Yes, Amazon Prime is a fantastic deal if you order a lot and like watching movies.
    For me I don't watch many movies so that part is no deal for me.
    I prefer not to have the item I ordered sit on my door step all day. Walmart is across the street from work so I can run in and out for order pickup in no time.
    I know this has more to do with my location to the warehouse. But why pay $100 a year for 2 day shipping when I get a lot of my orders in 3 days.
    Amazon does have excellent customer service if a problem is had
    Amazon Prime is perfect for me since with the farm I don't get out much and a jaunt to Walmart takes a least an hour. I order most of my books from Amazon (I buy a lot of books), clothing, shoes, many tools and supplies for shop, house, church, and farm - even some larger equipment like a big Jet horizontal metal-cutting bandsaw. When I built my shop I ordered a lot of materials and things like electrical, compressed air fittings, etc. I'll bet not everyone knows the price of freeze-dried meal worms drops dramatically when bought in large quantities! Looking at my order history I typically make 100-200 orders per year so the cost of the Prime is not that significant with that many orders.

Just be careful to check prices with Prime - some items have the 2-day shipping cost built into the Prime price.

I have a gated farm so for the package drops I put a secure steel box outside the gate by the mailbox. I welded pieces to the bottom of a steel job site lock box I got at Lowes or somewhere and concreted the box into the ground on 3x3 steel legs to raise it up a bit. The box is next to my drive but behind some vegetation so it's not immediately obvious from the country road. I fastened a hasp to the top and hang a combination lock on a lip inside the box. The lock has a fluorescent orange streamer tied to it so I can see if it is locked from across the field. The delivery guys all love it. FedEx said he wished everyone had one.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    It might just be me, but $100 a year to not have to set foot in walmart is a bargain
    ++1 LOL

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Well said!

We have a couple packages a week delivered from Amazon Prime. Couldn't imagine being without it.

A couple years ago I ordered Vac bags on Amazon and had no problem just ordered and they shipped them. Today I tried to order more bags and now they are an add on item and I have to buy $25 worth of more stuff to get the bags shipped. Went on ebay got them for a dollar more then Amazon and FREE 3 day shipping. I find this happens a lot.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    ...I tried to order more bags and now they are an add on item and I have to buy $25 worth of more stuff to get the bags shipped.
    Yes, more small/inexpensive things are add-on items now. The cost of the add-on item itself contributes toward the $25 minimum. On occasion I had more than $25 of just add-on items and that was sufficient. (I think the $25 has to be from items that ship from Amazon, not from a 3rd party.)

BTW, one reason I like to use Amazon even if it is not cheaper is I can search the order history and find the item, cost, supplier, and receipt for something I bought years ago. This is useful on occasion and easier then digging through old emails and a box of receipts. For example, I see I paid $17 in 1999 for the DVD "2001: A Space Oddesy."

JKJ

Pretty sure you can search all your ebay orders also
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Yes, more small/inexpensive things are add-on items now. The cost of the add-on item itself contributes toward the $25 minimum. On occasion I had more than $25 of just add-on items and that was sufficient. (I think the $25 has to be from items that ship from Amazon, not from a 3rd party.)

BTW, one reason I like to use Amazon even if it is not cheaper is I can search the order history and find the item, cost, supplier, and receipt for something I bought years ago. This is useful on occasion and easier then digging through old emails and a box of receipts. For example, I see I paid $17 in 1999 for the DVD "2001: A Space Oddesy."

JKJ
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Count me in the "Paying $100 to not have to go to Walmart" group. I'm not even that opposed to Walmart in general, more the opposed to the people of our Walmart.

We order a metric ton of stuff from Amazon. More now that we live in a small city than when we lived in the country minutes from a big city. And often price doesn't come into play, it whether I would have to go to Walmart or Meijer and hope I can actually find what I want. We watch movies with Prime and I've taken advantage of a free e-Book offer every month too. We decided we like Apple Music better as a family so we aren't using Amazon Music.

LMAO - and it's not just you

+1. Amazon shipping is so quick and predictable I frankly feel guilty about the cheap cost of prime. Shipping $5.00 worth of shower rings for free to me makes me feel lazy. I will still do it, but man, what is the world coming to that we need stuff so fast and can't be bothered to get up from our desks to get it?

I hate shopping though. Being around that many people and parking and dodging traffic is such a waste of time. So conflicted.

I know the answer... unfortunately. I need to buy less of everything.

If anyone sees Bessey clamps on sale on Amazon please tell me. That's the one thing I cannot have enough of.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 04-30-2017 at 11:19 AM.