Thread: Drill Press - Powermatic or Nova?

Drill Press - Powermatic or Nova?

Can't make up my mind.
    The Powermatic and Nova both have the swing and spindle travel I need. There is a lot to like about both of them. Looking for any feedback I can get - especially from owners.

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

no comparison get the nova, if you want a real world test go to wood craft extend the quill all the way and grab the chuck and move the entire quill around the pm was better then my porter cable but my nova has no play which ends up being runout. i tested the runout on my nova to under .001 at 6'' travel. now if the electronics last is another question i unplug mine after every use same with my lathe since they don't get used as often and to protect the electronics in both.

The drill press is a "secondary" machine in our shop, not a heavy used item but when you need it it is of course necessary. We currently have a larger General with the 6" travel and another General (floor model) with the regular 4" stroke.

I am seriously eying up the Nova press - I like the idea of a variable speed without belt changes and also the depth adjustment stop, etc. Problem here is finding a dealer with stock and price... The websites seem to be useless and the distributor I know that handles the brand in Onatrio, isn't my favourite to deal with.

I'd love to see one in person.
    Andrew J. Coholic

No experience either way. I have seen very little positive out of the current PM drill press.

I was in Woodcraft today looking at these two drill presses, the Nova and PM, side by side. The Powermatic was the PM2800B. Real nice looking machine with a massive cast iron head and digital RPM readout. It would be a welcome addition to my little shop. The Nova though with that variable speed and solid looking and solid feeling build. Automatic depth stop, reversing and a host of other features. It would be impossible for me to say no to the Nova and buy that super nice PM, even with the extra $100 for the Nova. Even though my lathe, bandsaw and table saw are Powermatic my vote goes to Nova. The Nova will most likely be the next big power tool I buy and I already own a real nice 1970ish floor model Craftsman drill press, one owner and all original.

I just set up the PM about a month ago, solid and easy set up. Can't complain. Like I said it's only been a month but no issues. Happy with the purchase.

I recently got the Nova and love it. A number of nice features and it seems like a well built machine as well. The auto start and stop is really handy when doing a lot of repetitive cuts.

I sold my year old PM2800B and bought the Nova. I spent several hours "tuning" up the Powermatic when I got it. The sliding carriage ways were not adjusted properly and the rear pulley shaft was causing the pulleys to stick. And it seems like you have to do a lot of cranking and waiting for a speed change. The Nova is a dream by comparison. No issues out of the box. Virtually no vibration and their on/off switch actually shuts off everything and doesn't leave the display on like the PM.

Thanks for all the comments.

Based on the many issues I have heard about the PM and the solidness of the Nova I think it's the winner.
    I am tall, and when I looked at both machines, the massiveness of the PM's head kind of got in the way.
    I felt more comfortable using the Nova, so I'm glad to see people like it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.