Thread: Amperage on a portable cooktop?

Amperage on a portable cooktop?

I saw a 2 burner electric cooktop at a garage sale today. It is 2400w at 120v, and has a 20a plug on it.

I don't have a 20a outlet where I want to use it. I am guessing that the large burner is 13a and the small one 7a; so if I only use the large one, it will be okay on a 15a circuit. Does that seem like a fair assumption?

I would give that unit a close look over. Old wire can present serious defects in insulation, nonpolarized plugs are a hazard and assumptions can make an ass of you and me or ass-u-me. Take care.

I'm taking a guess that this isn't a plug in hotplate. I've never seen one of those over 1500 watts. More likely this is a built in meant for a dedicated line, no plugs.

The problem with your guess that the elements are 7A/13A split could be a 5A/15A split instead.

Would running a 12 gauge wire with a 20 amp breaker to it be that difficult?

-Tom

If you have a clamp on ammeter, plug it into a 15 amp outlet (change the plug) and turn on the small burner - check what the amperage is. That should tell you what the amperage of the other burner is. If the large burner is less than 15 amps, you can use it with a regular outlet. Just don't turn on both burners at the same time.

Alternately, as Tom suggested, run 20 gauge circuit.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It looks like it is intended to be installed, but the guy "installed" it in a frame of 2x4s. It has what appears to be a factory installed 20a plug.
    I wouldn't use it more than once a year, so it is probably not worth the fuss.

Thanks.