Thread: First wood gloat at our new home

First wood gloat at our new home

Here is a cherry log I got from a friend who was clearing land for a new house. It's about 20" at the base, 16" at the narrow end.

He had a front end loader, so all I had to do was show up. It even came with some free poison ivy ( we seem to have a lot of that around here)
    We moved from Minnesota to Tennessee to escape the cold weather and high taxes. Being so close to so much hardwood is an added bonus!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice haul ! Are you going to make bowl blanks, spindle blanks or lumber out of it ? Do not forget to seal the ends soon.

Those are perfect logs for natural edge bowls. Pity looks dead center, nice ring of sap wood. Bark doesn't look like cherry from the north, but there are varieties. Enjoy the turning.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Nice!

Don't forget that with warm climate comes faster decay, especially sap stain which can discolor the sapwood in weeks. Usually cherry is a bit more resistant to decay, but not that much.

Nice haul and welcome to our great state!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    Here is a cherry log I got from a friend who was clearing land for a new house. It's about 20" at the base, 16" at the narrow end.

He had a front end loader, so all I had to do was show up. It even came with some free poison ivy ( we seem to have a lot of that around here)
    We moved from Minnesota to Tennessee to escape the cold weather and high taxes. Being so close to so much hardwood is an added bonus!
    Welcome to TN. From the map, it looks like you are within walking distance of NC but no one will hold that against you! I moved to TN from the north almost 50 years ago and I love it here. The humidity is high in the summer but the mild winters make up for it.

Yes poison ivy is everywhere - as ground cover, shrubs, and vines. I've cut vines almost 4" in diameter, big enough to make something out of! (I hear people make mother-in-law spoons from poison ivy!)

I'm sure you will love the free hardwood in this part of the country. A friend visited from out west once where what trees they have are pines. She left for the return trip with the springs in her station wagon completely compressed - I have a sawmill and just happened to have slabs of walnut, cherry, and other hardwoods she otherwise had to pay big bucks for.

JKJ

What might be gloating to find wood like that where you live would be a miracle here.

home.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    What might be gloating to find wood like that where you live would be a miracle here.
    I would suggest a road trip, truck or trailer. Make the Grand Wood Tour circuit in the east, visit friendly forum members, have enough wood for years. Enough to share.

JKJ

Cherry is so much fun to turn when it's green, but watch out for wind shake cracking. I've had piece ready to finish turn, and a crack would start at one end and go right across the length while I sharpened my gouge. BTW: Welcome to this beautiful state. I've been a transplant for over 38 years.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Bill
    I suggest you check out the Carolina Mountain Woodturners in Asheville NC, only about 2 hrs from you. They are a large club with members from many states (I live in S Carolina) and have wonderful demonstrators each month.