Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you bring your sheet stock home?

This is exactly why I can never sell/get rid of my trustworthy 1998 GMC Suburban. It'll hold full sheets laid out in the back.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    This is exactly why I can never sell/get rid of my trustworthy 1998 GMC Suburban. It'll hold full sheets laid out in the back.

Jim
    The vehicle of choice on the Navajo reservations is a 1980s or early 90s vintage GMC Suburban. Apparently there is no tougher production vehicle around.

I use my F350 short bed. Drop the tail gate and stack away. For longer boards, I have some quick attaching aluminum bed rails I can install. With those I can carry longer boards. So far, 16' and 20' is the longest I've used on it building our deck but it worked great. Rest of the time, the rack is off and hanging in storage so we can carry our 5th wheel as needed. If not for the 5th wheel though, this truck would be way over kill for our usage.

As mentioned above I have borrowed a family members honda van to pick ups sheet of plywood as well.

It'll be a cold day in you know where before I'll ever have a mini-van parked at my house! LOL! Sorry, just don't care for them.

To that end, my Tacoma, a pair of 2x6s jammed into the bed pockets, tail-gate down, rope around the movable tie-downs, and I'm good for many 4x8 products.

However, I heard on here that the Honda Ridgeline will handle 4x8 stock, wheel-well to wheel-well, fully inside the tailgate. I haven't confirmed this but when my 2006 Tacoma is ready to go, that is likely to be my next vehicle.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I have Yakima bars on my MDX for carrying my kayaks and they work great for strapping sheet goods to.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

For carrying "up top", just be aware of the weight limit for a given vehicle's roof rack system...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    For carrying "up top", just be aware of the weight limit for a given vehicle's roof rack system...
    And the tendency for a sheet of plywood attached to those racks to act like a wing and try to take off. The rack needs to support stress upward as well as downward.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, in my experience (DAMHIKT!!), even boards on top can catch wind enough to loosen their fastening and cause, um...issues... I am just not a fan of roof racks in any way, shape or form since that one time when a bunch of really nice cherry kept going when I stopped suddenly. No big deal except for the end of the boards coming down on top of the hood of Professor Dr. SWMBO's brand new Forester at the time...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Minivan and love it and it can barely take a 8 ft sheet.

However, the best thing I bought is the 5 x 8 utility trailer with a ramp. It can haul everything for me. I have had it about 20 years and paid for itself many times. I also use it to take in my John Deere for service when needed and that saves a pickup fee which is $75.

Of course, you need to have a place to park the trailer.

Thankfully, I can get sheet goods close enough to home that the drive back is VERY SLOW. However, I agree with all the precautions that you guys have mentioned.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I use my '97 F250HD w/ 7.3 Powerstroke

But if I had a minivan and if I were to ever do drywall myself again (NOT), I would simply rent a HD truck.

Looks like you're limited on the # of sheets b4 you hit the ceiling.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 05-03-2017 at 11:45 AM.