Thread: Clueless about finishing

Clueless about finishing

So I decided to turn my garage into a little woodworking hobby shop. I dove in the deep end and now have a sliding table saw, jointer, planer, band saw, sanders, and various hand tools. Took me awhile but all are set up and operational.

For my first project I decided to make a workbench top to put on my scissor lift to use as a mobile workbench and/or adjustable in or out feed table. Nothing major mind you. Its just 24"x40" and I thought a good starter for learning how to properly use the jointer and planer. I have already milled and squared off the ash I used and it ended up at 1.5" thick. All good. I have never had a jointer before and it was a joy to work with and I am amazed at how nicely the boards fit together. All i need to do now before finishing the wood is glue the 3 pieces together, drill the bench dog holes, and attach the end vise. Piece of cake.

Before attaching it the the scissor lift I want to finish the wood but am truly clueless when it comes to the subject. What would you experienced woodworkers recommend for me on where and how to learn about the proper ways to finish various woods? Is there a finishers bible so to speak? That one reference that all woodworkers should have? I know I can do some research with respect to how people have built and finished their workbenches but I am talking about the entire learning process with respect to all kinds of various woods and projects.

Again, I am just starting on the journey and am looking for some direction and pointers on where to start out on educational materials with respect to best finishing practices. Also if any of you have recommendations on what I should finish the Ash with for my workbench top I am all ears.

The following is a pic taken of the 3 boards milled on 3 of the 4 sides and prior to planing the 4th (top).

Last edited by Craig Shewmake; 04-30-2017 at 2:05 AM.

The best way to learn is to work with someone. Can you find someone you can do a course with? I am not aware of a finishers "bible". There is a lot to learn so I would recommend take it a step at a time. You have an ash top - learn how to finish that and then move onto your next project. I do recommend also that when designing a project, make sure you design the finish as well.

I have to leave it to others guys to recommend specific finishes for you. We have different products in Australia. Are you set up to spray? That info will help with recommendations.

With your top as pictured, you need to flip the centre piece. Looking at the end grain, you have all three pieces with the growth rings curving the same way. Change it so that you have on curve up, one down. This makes a much flatter top over time. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    The best way to learn is to work with someone. Can you find someone you can do a course with? I am not aware of a finishers "bible". There is a lot to learn so I would recommend take it a step at a time. You have an ash top - learn how to finish that and then move onto your next project. I do recommend also that when designing a project, make sure you design the finish as well.

I have to leave it to others guys to recommend specific finishes for you. We have different products in Australia. Are you set up to spray? That info will help with recommendations.

With your top as pictured, you need to flip the centre piece. Looking at the end grain, you have all three pieces with the growth rings curving the same way. Change it so that you have on curve up, one down. This makes a much flatter top over time. Cheers
    Thanks for the comments. I never considered the growth ring curve thing but it makes total sense as that is the way the boards will cup over time. I just tossed them together prior to the 4th side planing (and took a quick pic) to see how well the edges matched up being my first time using a jointer. I know I have a lot to learn. That's why I am starting out with a simple and small workbench top. After hearing this advice I will do some reading on gluing up tops. I am really enjoying the learning process and never intend to take it beyond a hobby. I have quickly found out that the price of wood these days makes it a not so cheap hobby.

I have a compressor that's set up so no moisture will be in the lines. No actual spray equipment yet but I imagine I will jump in that pool as well in time.

Thanks again,

Craig
    Last edited by Craig Shewmake; 04-30-2017 at 6:40 AM.

Craig,
    The best finishing book that I have found is Understanding Wood Finishing, by Bob Flexner.

I suggest you start simply. Use a wipe-on product like Tung Oil Finish (not just Tung Oil - that's something different). I used it on my benchtop. Another is Danish Oil. These are both mixes of finishing products that you wipe on, let soak and wipe off excess. I like wipe-ons like these because it's easy and you don't get "runs". Finally, there's Wipe-on Poly (WOP). I'd prefer it on that ash because it dries clear. (The other two have a slight amber tint.) If you choose the WOP, I wouldn't put more than 2 coats on that benchtop or it will make the top slippery.

Edit: The Tung Oil Finish and Danish Oil are both very easy to repair (as noted by others later in this thread). I have never had to repair a WOP finish, so I'm not sure if it's as easy to repair (though I suspect that it is). With ALL oil finishes, please be careful not to leave your rags, etc bunched up in a ball - spread them out to dry outside - or they will catch fire by spontaneous combustion.

There are many other simple but good options that I'm sure others will mention. (My personal favorite brush-on is Bullseye Sealcoat. It's a premixed dewaxed shellac.)

Good luck,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 04-30-2017 at 10:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    There are a few finishing "bibles". A couple of my favorite authors would be Jeff Jewitt and Peter Gedrys. They have differing ideas and approaches based on their many years of experience; both very good. To get a leg-up it may be worth a few bucks to start a trial subscription of Fine Woodworking Online, search on the Jeff and Peter's names and watch some of their videos.

For work surfaces in the shop I tend to stick with non-brittle finishes. Some Boiled Linseed Oil applied with a rag and then judiciously wiped down is what I have used on workbenches for years. Once cured, a coat of paste wax will make the surface slick for outfeeds but, still be grippy enough to have things stay put under holddowns.

This finish is easily repairable and renewable over time. For the occasional deep gouge in a surface I just fill it with epoxy the next time I have a batch going. Smooth it and refinish it like it is part of the original surface; no problems.

I orient boars for appearance and don't really subscribe to the alternating rings theory. There are varying opinions on this and I do not say mine is right. You will also find a wide range of opinions on finishing as most of us prefer and preach about the things that we have found that work for us.

Someone getting something ready as a Christmas gift in Minnesota is going to have found success in a different way than some of what I get away with in my toasty, dry southern California desert basin.

Welcome to what will be an interesting and rewarding journey through the craft!
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-30-2017 at 7:09 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Agree with the comments above - I have books from Flexner and Jewitt, both give you a detailed understanding of how to finish and what to use in certain situations. For your Ash worktop, I would also recommend an oil finish as its easy to repair once the top has been dinged a few times

Agree with the Jeff Jewett materials. I took a Saturday class at the local Woodcraft, which was very basic but extremely helpful to get an overview of the different products. I have progressed from being completely clueless to somewhat clueless. An oil finish is easy and, depending on the wood, can look spectacular.

Agree with all comments above regarding Jewett and Flexner's books - they are solid and very informative. Also, I went to a 3 day course with Charles Neil in his workshop in North Carolina. I learned a ton - he's a great teacher and a really nice guy, and my work is far better for it.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.