Thread: Grizzly G-0453 surface planer lube question...

Grizzly G-0453 surface planer lube question...

OK I just stopped by Autozone to pick up some SAE-30 lube oil which the Griz manual states is the type to use to lubricate the machine.

Autozone has STP SAE-30 MOTOR oil. Is there a difference?

For rear end oil and motor oil the numbers are very different. Like #80 rearend oil is about 30 weight engine oil. Not sure which grizzly means. Is it EP rated, maybe GL.
    Bil lD.

Now I am confused. The red sticker on top of planer states: "SAE 30 Lubricating oil".

Yet the manual states - "SAE-30W".

These are not the same.

That SAE 30 oil is for the drive roller bushings. The STP will be ok.

Remember to change the gearbox oil after 20 hrs.

MK

Blog Entries
    Gearbox is 90 weight if I recall correctly.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought Royal Purple SAE30 motor oil for mine. I haven't had any issues, but that doesn't mean I was right. For the gearbox, I'm using Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil. I've ran Royal in my truck for the last 10 years and had mechanics marvel at how great the engine looks and runs after 150k miles. May or may not have had anything to do with it. It costs more than the other oil, but for the planer, a single bottle should last you ages! What do you use for all purpose grease (table lift/gears/posts/chains, gearbox chains, etc.)? I cleaned up the dried grease and gunk out of mine and have been using a white lithium spray grease. Everything moves surprisingly smooth and easy, but it's only been on a few weeks, so I can't speak to long term. As always, I'm open to any advice as well.