Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: any advantage to fusion 360 if I'm currently using sketchup?

any advantage to fusion 360 if I'm currently using sketchup?

I uses sketchup for all my design work. I'm far from an expert but I can build a reasonable model. Has anyone tried fusion 360 instead? It looks like it might not have some of the idiosyncrasies of sketchup but it really is a cad tool, not a design tool. I suspect I'd get bogged down in the cad requirements that sketchup ignores.

Blog Entries
    Why don't you get the free trial version and see if you like it.

I used AutoCad for 40 years. so not much intimidates me concerning cad. If you use Sketchup, you should do fine.

I have legal copies of AutoCad just for the record. I also have Sketchup.

Once you get up to speed on fusion 360, you"ll realize what a toy SketchUp is. It's like a sawstop vs. table top ryobi.

I've used both and agree with John - Fusion (natively) is much more powerful. You can get a bunch of extensions which make Sketchup closer. Both are relatively easy to learn but they are different so jumping from one to the other is not straightforward. In terms of which is better for your needs, only you can determine that. Both are free for hobbyist users so the only thing you have to lose by trying them out is your time and effort.

Fusion 360 is free if you do under $100K per year in revenue using the tool.

6. Andy is correct, jumping from Sketchup to Fusion is a bit of a mind bend. I use Sketchup for larger "builds", designing sheds, shops, houses, etc. I use Fusion 360 for smaller sized projects, desks, chairs, boxes, etc. I find myself using Fusion more as I am trying to force myself to get better at it because I plan on getting a CNC machine in the future and this is where Fusion really excels, you can go from design to CAM in the same project, all the way to g-code. Fusion is very powerful.

I will note that both Sketchup and Fusion allow you to build cut lists for projects(add in on Sketchup). Who doesn't love a cut list of a project they designed from start to finish. You can even add-in a program that will give you the best layout for boards and sheet goods. Very powerful.

Plenty of Youtube vids for both, my wife is a youtube widow these days.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm looking to move to Fusion from Sketchup as well, since I'm in the early stages of heading down the CNC road.

Are YouTube videos the best (no doubt cheapest) way to learn Fusion, or are there other resources out there folks have found helpful?

Victor, there are plenty of learning resources for Fusion on their web page. I found that if I followed the step by step approach to learning (Principles, Sketch and so on) it was a lot less confusing if you've used Sketchup. The learning resources are also linked in the tool so once you have it up and running its fairly easy to find. Its a powerful tool so I found I had to invest some quality time to get the most out of it.

Blog Entries
    I use Autocad Mechanical (2D) at work and I've used SketchUp for some furniture stuff. I think AutoCAD is waaaay smoother to use. I'm looking forward to trying Fusion once I get a home / non work computer.

SketchUp seems clunky to me. You can't type your commands and there are a limited amount of hotkeys. Want to use the protractor? Gotta click the button. Lame sauce. Want to draw a line at 75 degrees that is 10 inches long? Two steps in SketchUp. One step in Autocad.

If you have to learn only one, I'd stick with learning the 'real' tools personally. I'm sure other 3D big names are good too, I've never used them.

My friend also sent me this link to build your own desktop computer:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds

'The Crusher' is what I'm thinking if I don't buy a laptop (<$500).

I started out drafting by hand, moved to AutoCAD and currently use SketchUp. I've tried fusion and the advantage I see is that you can input the exact thickness of parts and other parts will automatically change. I didn't care much for it as it seemed to lean more to parametric modeling and engineering as opposed to design. I used to think that SketchUp was a less serious program until I really learned how to use it and what it can do. I find it incredibly versatile because I can quickly rough out a design, then use that same model to pull out as much information as I need about each and every part. SketchUp is different than other programs and you need to learn its language and how objects behave in SketchUp world. I had to get over trying to get it to act like AutoCAD before I could get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    You can't type your commands
    You're right. SketchUp doesn't use command line controls. Few users care.

and there are a limited amount of hotkeys.
    You're only limited by the number of keys on the keyboard.

Want to use the protractor? Gotta click the button. Lame sauce.
    Unless you use a keyboard shortcut.

Want to draw a line at 75 degrees that is 10 inches long? Two steps in SketchUp. One step in Autocad.
    If you need this ability, you can add a free extension that provides the capability. I have that extension installed but in over 14 years of using SketchUp, I've never needed it.

Fusion 360 is cloud based which means you need an internet connection to use it. SketchUp installs locally so no internet connection is required to use it.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 05-13-2017 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Victor, there are plenty of learning resources for Fusion on their web page. I found that if I followed the step by step approach to learning (Principles, Sketch and so on) it was a lot less confusing if you've used Sketchup. The learning resources are also linked in the tool so once you have it up and running its fairly easy to find. Its a powerful tool so I found I had to invest some quality time to get the most out of it.
    Thanks much Andy

For those of you who plan to use your knowledge of Fusion 360 to quickly become productive with a CNC router, you are likely to be disappointed. It is different and more complicated than what you might think. For most users, I don't think either of these programs are very good. There are much better alternatives but they aren't free.

Hmmm....

Designed and drawn in SketchUp for CNC cutting.

Also designed and drawn in SketchUp. Wooden parts cut with CNC, player's bodies, score counters and other plastic bits 3D printed from the SketchUp model, playing surface and player silhouettes drawn in SketchUp and printed to scale.

SketchUp Wikihouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zod8Rc2cijQ

Blog Entries
    I didn't find the hotkey for protractor. What is it? Or is there a way to set your own hotkey?

Also, the number of keys on a keyboard is limiting.