Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any advantage to fusion 360 if I'm currently using sketchup?

In the SketchUp Preferences window you can set a shortcut for any command. I believe you can set shortcuts that use a combination of keys.

Bob Lang

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I didn't find the hotkey for protractor. What is it? Or is there a way to set your own hotkey?

Also, the number of keys on a keyboard is limiting.
    You can make your own keyboard shortcut for the Protractor tool. Go to Preferences>Shortcuts and look for Tools/Protractor. Start typing protractor in the filter line to make it easier to find.

Screenshot - 5_14_2017 , 2_16_30 PM.png

As Bob said, you can also use key chords. On Windows that is Shift, Ctrl and Alt. On Mac, Shift, Option, and Command. You can also use most of the F keys. F1 is hard coded in the Windows OS for Help so don't use that one. Also don't use other OS hard coded shortcuts because they won't stick. And finally, to set keyboard shortcuts for commands that show in the Context menu, you'll need to have something selected in the model space that would cause that menu item to show.

Blog Entries
    You guys are awesome, thanks!

I'll give it another college try

I was making the switch to 360, but no real printer support so kinda killed it for me as I use that a lot to visualize. may be diff now, but that was last year.

Don't know if its changed, Keith, but I output to a PDF which can be printed or shared easily

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Don't know if its changed, Keith, but I output to a PDF which can be printed or shared easily
    Won't help if its not to scale (at least for me).

Dave,

I need to start using some software like Sketchup or Fusion and thought I had decided on Fusion in case I ever wanted to do CNC work in the future. Your posts have led me to rethink, for about the twentieth time, that decision.

I don't have any experience with CNC, so please forgive me if this doesn't make sense. My understanding is that Fusion 360 will help create the commands that a CNC machine needs to do its job. You obviously have some way of getting that code from Sketchup. Can you briefly describe that process? Do you have any thoughts on whether doing this from Sketchup is more or less arduous or error-prone than with Fusion?

Thanks.

Brian, I sent you a PM.

Keith, it would be to scale and you can also choose which scale to print a PDF

You certainly have a good point there, Dave. That looks like a good application for Sketchup. I use it sometimes for furniture and jig design. My opinion comes from looking at the CNC work of dozens of people on this and a couple of other popular forums. In my observation, this kind of work isn't very common.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Hmmm....

Designed and drawn in SketchUp for CNC cutting. ........
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-23-2017 at 5:28 PM.

For the benefit of everybody, most CNC programing starts with a DXF file. This is an AutoCAD format file that is vector graphics. In my experience there is a secondary program that comes with the CNC machine that translates the vectors in the DXF file to G-code. It's generally as simple as specifying a cutter diameter, cutting depth and which side of the line to cut on. G-code is the language the CNC understands. In SketchUp Pro you can export DWG and DXF files as simply as you would save a SketchUp file. In the free version, SketchUp Make you can only export raster graphics. Fusion might be able to export G-code, but that's a guess on my part.

Bob Lang

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
    For the benefit of everybody, most CNC programing starts with a DXF file. This is an AutoCAD format file that is vector graphics. In my experience there is a secondary program that comes with the CNC machine that translates the vectors in the DXF file to G-code. It's generally as simple as specifying a cutter diameter, cutting depth and which side of the line to cut on. G-code is the language the CNC understands. In SketchUp Pro you can export DWG and DXF files as simply as you would save a SketchUp file. In the free version, SketchUp Make you can only export raster graphics. Fusion might be able to export G-code, but that's a guess on my part.

Bob Lang
    Bob, never used Fusion for CAM but, as I understand the overview of its capabilities, its a lot more than exporting a DXF and G-Code. Here's an overview from the Learning section for those who are interested http://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?learn=cam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lang View Post
    I started out drafting by hand, moved to AutoCAD and currently use SketchUp. I've tried fusion and the advantage I see is that you can input the exact thickness of parts and other parts will automatically change. I didn't care much for it as it seemed to lean more to parametric modeling and engineering as opposed to design. I used to think that SketchUp was a less serious program until I really learned how to use it and what it can do. I find it incredibly versatile because I can quickly rough out a design, then use that same model to pull out as much information as I need about each and every part. SketchUp is different than other programs and you need to learn its language and how objects behave in SketchUp world. I had to get over trying to get it to act like AutoCAD before I could get anywhere.
    I understand your take on this issue. I've used AutoCad for 30 years. I tried Sketchup when it first came out and have the 2016 version on my computer. I like SketchUp and use it a lot.
    I use the software according to the mood I'm in at the time. I don't feel inclined to try another cad software.

Blog Entries
    well, after all my bragging about AutoCad (2D), I just wasted an hour trying to figure out why all my dimensions didn't scale in size (dimscale). I have no idea why it works now, but it does.

Anyway, I'm way faster on Autocad, but the truth is that it can do way more than I need it to do. It's way more complicated than it needs to be.

I have used Sketchup and Fusion 360, and I am going to start using Fusion more than Sketchup. Fusion has more features, and I find some things easier to do. Sketchup may be relegated to the quicker, simpler things.

Not to muddy the waters (well maybe a little), if you are a veteran you can get SolidWorks for $20. At least you could. Maybe check into it to see if the offer still stands. You will need to send them a copy of your DD-214 and some people don't like that idea. When I sent my copy, I blacked out SSN and service number.

Wayne