Thread: 12" compound miter

12" compound miter

Have been using a 12" Craftsman saw for about 4 years and am becoming very unhappy with the performance. Looking to replace. Any suggestions from the collective minds on this site. Having been looking into the Dewalt DWS780, any comments on this saw. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kopack View Post
    Have been using a 12" Craftsman saw for about 4 years and am becoming very unhappy with the performance. Looking to replace. Any suggestions from the collective minds on this site. Having been looking into the Dewalt DWS780, any comments on this saw. Thanks.
    Just make sure it has the light. You'll love the 780, at least IMO. It's made me 10's of thousands of dollars without exaggeration. I would not hesitate to buy it again and again. Mine gets hauled all over the place and stays true as can be. I can make 15" cross cuts dead square.

Take the time to dial it in and then just enjoy it.
    -Lud

The 12" Makita is excellent. I highly recommend it.

I love my 12" makita

Bosch Glide. To bad it doesn't have a laser though. Would have made it a great saw.

I have a Bosch Glide. Table mounted. Very accurate. Fair dust collection.

i have mine cart mounted. But I've been taking the saw into the field because I'm cutting a 5 1/2" casing. Nice straight miters. And I agree about the fair dust collection. Could be better.

I use a Hitachi C12FDH. It is not a slider so it is limited to about 8 inch crosscuts. I have an old RAS I use for wider crosscuts in the shop. I find it to be very accurate and easy to use. It is also much cheaper than a slider. $200-250. Laser quit working but I don't find them to be accurate enough anyway.

I give a plus 1 to the 780. As Justin mentioned, dial it in and it stays that way. One of the reasons I bought it is that it doesn't have a laser; it uses a LED light instead. I don't think either is very accurate but the LED light is turned on by a separate switch and does a good job of illuminating the cut area and letting you see your marked line.

Thanks everyone, knew I could count on the years of wisdom.

I have the DWS780 as well. It works like a champ. I'm not sure why John doesn't think the XPS light wouldn't be accurate (and would love to hear the logic in all honesty). In my little mind, the LED is mounted above the blade, so the shadow is cast directly down in the cut path. The closer you get to the wood, the finer the line. It has always at least seem spot on to me. If you are looking for a mobile application, I would highly recommend the Rigid Mobile Miter cart at Home Depot regardless of saw. I am limited on space, so I needed something easy to move around and setup when needed. I was blown away by how easy it worked!

Sold my DeWalt DWS780 for the Bosch GCM12SD Glide. Nothing wrong with the DWS780 if you have a ton of room to spare in the front and back of the saw for the rails and rear dust port. For me it was a big waste of space and I really liked the fact that you can butt the Bosch Glide right up against the wall. Saved a lot of space. Other than that the two saws are about equal aside from the better hold down option on the DeWalt if you get the upgraded quick release hold down. The XPS LED light is nice when inside, but cant be seen outdoors. The dust collection is slightly better on the Glide after upgrading the dust boot with the one from the Festool Kapex.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!