Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 209HH vs Jet 208HH

Powermatic 209HH vs Jet 208HH

The time has come to upgrade our planer as the Powermatic 15HH is just too narrow for growing needs. I'm wondering what are the significant differences between the Powermatic and the Jet.

Thanks in advance.

Powermatic will have slightly larger bearings and maybe built better with better fit and finish. It is debatable. If you are going to buy Jet I would just buy Grizzly. I put them on the same level. Powermatic is slightly better but not worth the premium if you ask me.

I would consider an older Powermatic. Decent 18" and larger planers can be had for 2k or so, and they are well built. We had a newer Powermatic 15" at a shop I worked at several years ago. I switched companies and now use an old PM 18". Smooth operation, plenty of power and trouble free.

I have an older model Griz 1033 ZX and it is a workhorse. Just a hobbiest but do lots of rough stock milling. Great value and I think the Griz, PM, and Jet are so similar that they would give the same performance,

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    I would consider an older Powermatic. Decent 18" and larger planers can be had for 2k or so, and they are well built. We had a newer Powermatic 15" at a shop I worked at several years ago. I switched companies and now use an old PM 18". Smooth operation, plenty of power and trouble free.

I too would look for something more substantial.

I'm not sure if this applies to the larger planer but I decided to go with Powermatic over Jet due to the rollers. Powermatic has a serrated infeed and smooth outfeed roller, jet and grizzly has serrated for both infeed and outfeed (on the 15" model). I've read that the serrated outfeed rollers would leave a slight mark on your wood and that was my determining factor.

Thanks for the feedback on the Powermatic, I'm leaning that way over the Jet. I've seriously considered an older machine but honestly don't have time to spend on the rebuild.

I meant to add in my original post that grizzly is NOT an option. This is a busy shop and I need equipment that will withstand the use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Richardson View Post
    I've seriously considered an older machine but honestly don't have time to spend on the rebuild.

I meant to add in my original post that grizzly is NOT an option. This is a busy shop and I need equipment that will withstand the use.
    Buying used and older doesn't mean it needs to be rebuilt.

What's your budget? I see 24" Northfield planers pretty regularly in the $5k range. I just feel if you don't like grizzly, there isn't much significant difference in Powermatic. I'm in the market for a different planer myself. I have a Powermatic 15S, I'm small time, and we've pretty much worn ours out.

Budget is between $4-$5k. Old arn, like a Northfield, is fine but I need a helical head. Retrofitting a byrd will add several hundred dollars to the machine.

All my Powermatic equipment is reliable, I've only seen 1 grizzly machine hold up in an environment like mine. I have a local service tech for Powermatic, nobody here does warranty work for grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Richardson View Post
    Budget is between $4-$5k. Old arn, like a Northfield, is fine but I need a helical head. Retrofitting a byrd will add several hundred dollars to the machine.

All my Powermatic equipment is reliable, I've only seen 1 grizzly machine hold up in an environment like mine. I have a local service tech for Powermatic, nobody here does warranty work for grizzly.

I've got nothing but bad things to say about all of the newer Powermatic equipment I've got.

Take and double that budget and you can get a very nice used Euro planer with a four wing Tersa head.

Obviously, I'm not going to change your mind, or understand your finances, but I do know I've wasted a lot of money buying and wearing out mediocre tools that I bought new and could've gotten used equipment of excellent quality for just a little bit more.

Case in point. I bought a brand new Powermatic Model 27S shaper for $3500. It needs bearings for a third time. I bought a ten year old scm shaper for $4k. (Might've been $6k, I'm not certain) Easier to use, produces, a better cut, and has already had less failures than that Powermatic and I work the snot out of it.

I'm trying to buy a German made planer right now, I say try because somebody else has dibs on it. $9k. To get something of similar quality, I'd have to spend close to $25k. And honestly, if the deal falls through, I might pursue a Martin.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    If you are going to buy Jet I would just buy Grizzly. I put them on the same level. Powermatic is slightly better but not worth the premium if you ask me.
    Cary and I are of a like mind.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you are going to ride it that hard and drop thak kind of coin, new PM would not be my choice.

The powermatic comes with a slow speed kit and a different base with built-in casters (that aren't very good). Does it really have larger bearings? I doubt it. The motor and the cutterhead might be different, but I think that's just the company trying to justify the higher price of the PM. The published specs on both machines are inconsistent and full of errors.

The Jet is very well reviewed. No reason to consider the Grizzly as the Jet is actually cheaper when it's on sale.

I always wonder when somebody makes a general statement like company xyz didn't hold up. People tend to buy the cheapest tool(hobby grade) then run it like a dog in a pro environment. Why are we talking about the 209HH and the G0454 instead of

or this?

The Grizzly fits in the budget but the PM does not. These would be better choices for a business.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I always wonder when somebody makes a general statement like company xyz didn't hold up. People tend to buy the cheapest tool(hobby grade) then run it like a dog in a pro environment.
    In my case, it's because I was an idiot and didn't know any better.