Thread: Good Craigslist score this weekend

Good Craigslist score this weekend

I've been looking for a gently used first generation Fein Turbo vac for a while now for sanding duties, small tool dust collection, and jobsite dust management. I use them all the time at work (carpentry and timber framing) and have really taken a liking to them.

I found a lady who was selling some of her mother's tools on Craigslist. Apparently her mother made Shaker style furniture until she became too old to woodwork anymore. The Fein vac (9.55.13) she had was what I drove out there for, but when she mentioned a "couple of small old hand planers" I told her that of course, I'd take a look at them.

Lo and behold, sitting in a dovetailed walnut box was a LN 60 1/2 low angle block plane. Apparently other interested parties had already been there and bought a lot of the power tools she was selling; I'm amazed that this was passed on and left for me. She said she didn't know anything about any of the hand tools and wanted everything gone. I added $25 to my offer for the Fein vac and told her I'd take the little block plane as well. She was delighted and just wanted to see it go to someone who would use it! I have an older stanley standard angle block plane that I use, but have been wanting a low angle (LN 60 1/2 specifically) for a year or two now, and was close to buying a new one. Now I don't have to! The iron needs a honing, but it appears to be in great shape. The literature that came in the plane box was dated 1999.

I got both tools for $100, which was a steal to me. The current model Fein vac like this one goes for $350-400. I was also able to snag a 0.5 micron HEPA filter that fits it that replaces the original 5 micron mesh filter. It was about $30 at Home Depot.

You just never know what you'll run across with this kinda stuff. She also had a really nice example of Stanley 78 rabbet plane with all the original parts (fence, depth stop, etc) but I already have a pristine Record 778, which I like just fine.

Just thought I'd share a surprising and positive Craigslist story.

Congrats! This morning I just missed a 12" starrett square with protractor head and center finder for $25! Now it's back to the usual sea of ryobi benchtop table saws for $200

Congratulations on a great score!

Congrats!

That particular hand tool (the LN low angle 60 1/2) is my absolute favorite hand tool in my shop. I pretty much use it on every project...including yesterday while building a storage bid for in a friend's horse trailer. Indispensable! Great find and wow...major bargain, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...