Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So here's my problem. 72*F dew point

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Jeff: Are you closing up the space for the dehumidifier or leaving the garage door open?

I'm keeping the garage door closed. It'll never work if I have the garage door open.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Blog Entries
    Jeff,

Leaving the door open would help reduce the overall humidity in the FLA area!! You could also run an AC unit with the door open and help reduce climate change!!! <grin>
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    I'm keeping the garage door closed. It'll never work if I have the garage door open.
    Ha! OK, I'm up to speed after reading through the thread.

I'm in North Texas and we get punished in the summer for all the nice weather the rest of the year. I have a laser in my garage (insulated, but not conditioned) and run a chiller at 23 degrees 24/7. I haven't had any condensation and the tube is still hardy. The smaller lasers at my shop (insulated with HVAC) run off buckets and pumps. They're more susceptible to power loss after long jobs. I don't know if that helps, but hope you get it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    Jeff,

Leaving the door open would help reduce the overall humidity in the FLA area!! You could also run an AC unit with the door open and help reduce climate change!!! <grin>
    I'm not sure I follow. If I open the garage door how would it help reduce the humidity in the garage. I'm trying to drop the humidity in the garage lower then the outside humidity.

Ha! OK, I'm up to speed after reading through the thread.

I'm in North Texas and we get punished in the summer for all the nice weather the rest of the year. I have a laser in my garage (insulated, but not conditioned) and run a chiller at 23 degrees 24/7. I haven't had any condensation and the tube is still hardy. The smaller lasers at my shop (insulated with HVAC) run off buckets and pumps. They're more susceptible to power loss after long jobs. I don't know if that helps, but hope you get it figured out.
    I've always tried to run the chiller <20*C. With the dew point at around 22-23*C I'm not willing to take the risk. I've spent way too much money on blown tubes.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Software used

Jeff you need to read what Stan posted.... its about helping reduce the RH% in your neighborhood.

Matt. Dew point depends on humidity and Texas may have a lot less than Florida.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Jeff Dave was making a funny He meant you could lower Florida's over all humidity by leaving the door open

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    I'm not sure I follow. If I open the garage door how would it help reduce the humidity in the garage. I'm trying to drop the humidity in the garage lower then the outside humidity.

I've always tried to run the chiller <20*C. With the dew point at around 22-23*C I'm not willing to take the risk. I've spent way too much money on blown tubes.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Matt. Dew point depends on humidity and Texas may have a lot less than Florida.
    It seems Dallas in July is typically ~80% in the morning and ~40-50% in the afternoon. August is a good time to take a vacation, when the temps are over 100 degrees and the humidity is high. Houston/Galveston Island/Corpus, etc. are very humid in summer, since they're right in the Gulf of Mexico. Probably closer to typical Florida climate.

It seems Dallas in July is typically ~80% in the morning and ~40-50% in the afternoon. August is a good time to take a vacation, when the temps are over 100 degrees and the humidity is high. Houston/Galveston Island/Corpus, etc. are very humid in summer, since they're right in the Gulf of Mexico. Probably closer to typical Florida climate.
    Yep. I grew up in South Houston, and it's almost as bad as Florida, especially in the summer months.

And Austin (where I am currently located) is about in the middle between Dallas and Houston in terms of humidity.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Jeff Dave was making a funny He meant you could lower Florida's over all humidity by leaving the door open
    Yea, that flew right over my head. LOL

I'll leave the environmental changes to the politicians.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Software used

Blog Entries
    Jeff,

Apologies....I was teasing. I do that a lot. Can be a bad habit when folks dont know my sense of humor.

An old joke about Air Con systems is that we could solve summer heat in places like FLA if we all left our doors and windows open and ran our AC units a few hours every day to cool off our neighborhoods. <grin>

Along the same line.....We could probably stop climate change altogether if we simply got rid of Daylight Savings Time. That extra hour of sunlight we get is in the hottest part of the year! It has to be having an effect. <double grin>

That last one came from a conversation I was trying to have with a coworker in WA DC while I was in OR. The receptionist said that lady would be back shortly. I told her that about 1 my time would be good for a call back and there was a pause on the part of the receptionist. She finally said "buts its nearly 3 already?" I apologized and said I forgot to mention I was in OR on the west coast and and it was just coming up on lunch time for us. We were 3 hours earlier than WA DC. There was another pause and she asked "whhhhhhhyyyyyyyyy?" I was sorely tempted to explain how the planet rotates and about time zones and what not. Then I had a more evil thought and almost went on my tirade against daylight savings and the warming planet. I managed to restrain myself though. Safer, but not nearly as much fun. <grin> I never did get to talk to my coworker that day.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    Yep. I grew up in South Houston, and it's almost as bad as Florida, especially in the summer months.

And Austin (where I am currently located) is about in the middle between Dallas and Houston in terms of humidity.
    Houston doesn't have humidity. They have viscosity.

In Iowa when its 95 Deg and 75% Rh they call it Corn Growing weather, I call it turn on the AC!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    There is an old tale in Maine about one summer where it got soooo hot....... there was a herd of cattle out in one field with a crop of corn growing next to them. As the day got hotter the corn started popping and a light breeze carried that popped corn over into the herd of cattle. The cattle saw that white fluffy stuff floating down around them and some of them got so confused they froze to death! That was a wicked hot summer to hear folks tell it! Pretty high humdidity too as they say up there.

14. I have the CW5200 chiller and am running it in what it calls "Intelligent mode" This varies the tube temp with room temp and I believe this is to minimize the risk of condensation. I have it set to keep the tube about 3.5 deg C lower than the room temp. Within a 17-25C range. So it won't go lower than 17 or allow the tube to get higher than 25 no matter what the room temp is but it will vary the temp within that range to keep things just above the dewpoint. I had to adjust a number of parameters on the chiller to get this all set but it's been working great since then. The 3.5deg split was determined using an online dewpoint calculator using the worst case temp and humidity for my area.