Thread: sub vs cltt

sub vs cltt

Hello all new guy doing tons of research onto what is actually going to work for me So here I am again with another question.

I am trying to get custom graphics (multiple colors) onto either HDPE (white) or acrylic (clear or whiteor white opaque).
    Plastics are 3-5mm in thickness and are flat. Graphics need to have good durability, scratch resistant, etc. as the product is 'handled/used".

I was looking at an A2 or A3 (preferred) flatbed printer using eco-solvent inks as I know that process will work well. The cost is a bit prohibitive as I am a small start up.

I alllllmost pulled the money out to do the diy flatbed thing. 'Cept I couldn't get the A3 printer version I wanted only A2 is available. Still working on that one. In the meantime,

Someone here mentioned sublimation and I thought yeah that could work. I have done a bunch of research into that. Getting the sub prints from an outsource looks awesome cost wise!
    I read issues on warping and the heat needed for sub will not work well with HDPE, looks great on acrylic though. I do have concerns about it working on the "thin" 3-5mm thick stuff. Sounds like I would have problems with warping.

Then I read about the CLTT (color laser toner transfer). I sounds simple, easy and lower temps. I can afford the printer they seem less costly. Is it really as simple as it reads or am I missing something?
    Do the colors/graphics come out well?
    Is warping not an issue?
    Durable?
    Think it would work for me?

Thanks a bunch for any suggestions!

here is a pic of what we have done in the past with a Neoflex and eco solvent inks.

Attached Images Attached Images

I do a lot of Sublimated Tags on the Poly Coated FRP or Fiber Plastic. I bet Johnson Plastics would send you a sample. Looks like you are doing a tag of some nature. Not sure if you are stuck with the material but I believe you will have a difficult time getting results due to the nature of the product.

I did go through the Granger Catalog a few years ago and ordered a sample of every plastic they had and tried to sublimate each. Got some OK results on some of the harder plastics in white but it was a muted color. The PA Cable Network does shows of Factory Tours and they showed a Snow Board production place using Sublimation to put the Graphics on the board on a Poly sheet stuck to the board. They fiber glass over it. So out of the box is possible.

I would try FRP and even double up the material. I make Fire Truck Riding Assignment Boards and print on the front of one sided then put them together for a thicker piece. I cut the blanks from 2 sided sheet stock on my CarveWright Hobby CNC. I also Epoxy Dome over the front of the tags.

CLTT... I have a printer and the special paper and have tried a few products. For MY use it was a FAIL. Since it is baked on the surface it can be scratched off with heavy use. The sublimation process lets the ink deposit slightly below the surface or into the poly surface for excellent durability.

As for UV Printing, out of my league so others will fill in the blanks on that.

Why are you going with that material? Not sure what the current project looks like, just going with the Tags from the past project.

Is this a Food Service Product? If so then CLTT could come off in the food...

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 05-08-2017 at 1:55 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".