Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Masculine"

"Masculine"

"Masculine"

This is the hollow form I have been working on.......first one I have done in about two years, so I am a bit rusty, but it looks really good in person.

Well, at first I was going to name this one "Broad Shoulders" for two reasons. First I made it to have broad masculine shoulders to symbolize the hard work, faithfulness and character of the men and women who work hard every day and do the right things to take care of their family and make our society better. As the family structure is the backbone of a free society, faithful men and women who do the right things make our society better....I applaud them all! 7.50" wide and 13.25" tall.

When I took this off the lathe, I then saw the "unique" markings that the ambrosia beetles had done on this piece of wood, so I thought that "Masculine" was an appropriate name.

DSC_0743.jpg Here is a second view.........the uh, markings are more evident on this side... DSC_0745.jpg

Sorry about the less than stellar gradient background.......it has been in storage and it has some smudges, marks, etc that made the pic look bad, so I put a couple of paper towels underneath the form to cover those bad areas of the gradient background........I have a new one on order as I write this. By the way, I was not sure up front if I was going to have a finial on this, so I left a collar around the opening, but when I got it mostly done, I had one of those "I wonder" moments, and knocked one out........not sure if it will be displayed with or without the finial.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-01-2017 at 7:00 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice form!
    That will be a hard act to phallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    That will be a hard act to phallow.
    Pun intended?? [i'm sure it is lol]
    Great looking hollow form Roger. Great form and I love the finial.
    Glad it wasn't "feminine".

Really nice Roger. I love the color and the contrast. If this is out of practice I'd say you are doing alright.
    USMC '97-'01

Very nice. Looks like you've lost no skill or sense of form for "someone out of practice." I should be so out of practice!

Also puts a new twist on the idea of a buffed hollow form.
    RD

Nicely done Roger. The curve looks spot on though I really hesitate to say that without actually holding the piece in my own hands. Not sure what you are using to manipulate your photos but with either Photoshop or Picassa,and others, you can eliminate any marring of your background with no problems. You can also eliminate those hot spots as well.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Nicely done Roger. The curve looks spot on though I really hesitate to say that without actually holding the piece in my own hands. Not sure what you are using to manipulate your photos but with either Photoshop or Picassa,and others, you can eliminate any marring of your background with no problems. You can also eliminate those hot spots as well.
    Thanks Tony. This particular gradient backdrop is fairly old, now discolored and had numerous stained/marked/ scratched areas on it............it would take a lot of time to work those out with my FastStone program.......two more days and my new background will come. I plan to take a couple more pics for my website, so they will be better. I messed up on the first pic as I cropped it wrong, and saved it without realizing I had cut it too close. Its been a while since I had my photo setup out and in use, so the rust certainly shows in my pic presentation here........it will get better!

Btw.........that curve is spot on! Good to hear from you!

Try saving a copy of each pic before you manipulate for thst very reason.

Yes, that is exceptional, Roger.

Nice work, Roger.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

They say "hindsight is 20/20" and I sort of wish I had waited until I had my new gradient backdrop before taking and especially posting these pics. I think I could have made a much better presentation! As I have looked at this, I see a couple of things design wise I could have done with it as well that would have set it off more, but that would have meant more pre-turning design considerations. I would have recessed the top for the finial to set into, and made that transition up the finial better.

As I mentioned, I was not even sure I was going to do a finial........I suppose I should have made a commitment up front and I could have avoided the conundrum! Things like this is what the "rust" does to you from not turning a hollow form for about two years........those little things get missed when one is out of practice on certain types of forms.

I may revisit this in the future. I am pretty busy at present, and am getting ready to return to a gallery I left in 2015. Thanks everyone for your comments.....they are appreciated! If others want to comment, feel free. I tried to use as much "tact" as I could with the obvious, and I thank everyone for their restraint as well!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-02-2017 at 1:04 PM.

Roger, I really like the finial. The form is stellar. Background means little to me as I focus on the item. I'm just now trying some hollow form types.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

13. That new gradient backdrop did arrive and here is a better pic of the hollow form.....

DSC_0748.jpg

....Wanted to give ya 5 stars Roger but since we don't have them, 5 smiley's will have to do.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

15. Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    ....Wanted to give ya 5 stars Roger but since we don't have them, 5 smiley's will have to do.
    Thanks David!