Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Makeover Update: Do My Legs Need to go on a Diet?

Thanks for all the advice. I appriciate all the good ideas and the encouragment. It came in handy.

I snuck into the shop for a little bit this afternoon and took a pretty good amount off the three sides of the back legs from the seat up. It's still a pretty beefy chair, but I can live with it now. I also managed to rough in the shape for the ladder back slats.

Here are some pics - I don't know if you can tell any difference, but I can... I think I probably took about a 1/4" off the front and back and maybe just shy of that on the outsides. I think this is the way it's going to stay, but we'll see...

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Vermeil
    Jason,

Really nice for your first chair! I haven't had enough guts to tackle one yet - although I haven't let me wife buy the dining room chairs we've been needing badly for the last four years now, so maybe soon.

From the seat down I think the legs look fine, but for my taste, above the seat the rear legs are too thick in both directions (sorry, I forget what you call the upper portion of the leg once it passes the seat & becomes the back). They appear too "bulky" and take away from what is overall a very graceful design. If you cut off maybe 1/4 or 3/8's from the width and thickness of the rear legs where they hit the seat, and then taper them to the current size at the tops, I think it would lighten the piece significantly. Also, I know it's a lot more work and out of the question for this model, but splaying this same portion of the legs above the seat outward slightly would also help lighten the piece and make it a bit more "comfortable" to look at. This can be accomplished by simply leaning the rear legs outward at the tops & inward at the bottoms, avoiding a "3D" leg.

But really, a very nice chair though.
    Mike, thanks for the comments. I am familiar with the method that you are talking about by turning the legs in about 5 degrees or so. It gives chairs a very nice look, no doubt. For my first chair, though, I was trying to follow the K.I.S.S. method of woodworking as much as possible. Not that I shy away from a challenge, but the chair in and of itself was a challenge. To add that many more angles would have made my life that much more difficult. Perhaps next time!

My question would be, "does sitting in your chair make my ass look too big."

Jason,
    I didn't have a chance to chime in earlier, but I think the revision a just right. I know it's subtle, but the first time lookd just a little too bulky. This looks great.

I think you nailed it. The pics aren't from the same angle, but from what I can tell you took off just the right amount. It looks quite a bit more graceful than the earlier pics.
    Use the fence Luke

I agree with Doug...it looks like the right amount came off. The steel horizontal members with the little red accents look out of place, though. I'd think you could tear up a shin in the dark pretty badly on those.

It looks like the Tuinstra eye is to be trusted, as usual. Your gut reaction was to lighten it a bit, others agreed in varying amounts, and when done, it looks spot on. Great work.

- Vaughn

Vaughn, you crack me up! I'll be sure to rid the chair of those steel members, per orders. What a riot.

Thanks again, everyone. I glad you agree that this was the right amount. Now just a ton more sanding and glue and she'll be ready for some finish.

Very nice Jason! They still look great. Vaughn...... what are we going to do with that guy!! LOL.

Corey

Excellent... Just trim a little fat and they're beauties... Can't wait to see it complete with a seat. I wonder if Jason's next post will say "does my seat need to go on a diet?"
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Wink

Hi Jason:

Though we are pretty focused on baseball here in Houston these days, your chair captured my attention.

It's a great addition to the desk and the lighter look is a plus.

Congrats on another wonderful piece from the Tunistra Collection.

Blessings, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

Bueno! Excellent modifications. It seems with each project your results get better and better.

By George, I think he's got it! Excellent work, Jason! OTOH, we've pretty much come to expect that from you! As for those steel members, I thought maybe it was an effort in doing something in mixed media, which is gaining so much popularity nowadays. Hmmmm...Naaaaaw. Maybe you guys are right. Nay on the steel. Seriously, it looks real nice!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Big improvement. You did that spokeshave proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Big improvement. You did that spokeshave proud.
    Alan, I should have thanked you for the push. I ended up resharpening the blade, paid close attention to my method and started producing some seriously nice shavings! I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting there. Thanks again!

Don't you dare touch a thing!
    18th century nut --- Carl