Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: HuanYang VFD parameters. Help!

HuanYang VFD parameters. Help!

My friend bought a HuanYang VFD, single phase 220V input to 3-phase 230V output to run a 5 HP motor, on his awesome (we hope) Zefam jointer. I have it wired and powered up, programmed the VFD after watching a couple of YouTube videos and studying the manual, such as it is. I have gotten the motor to try to start, but it trips out during acceleration and never comes up to full speed. When that happens I get an error message that says it's over current during ramp up. Most times I get that same message and the motor doesn't move at all. I've contacted the motor manufacturer TechTop and they have confirmed the motor is compatible with a VFD. I've tried to contact the HuanYang seller but haven't heard back yet.

I've input all the parameters outlined in the YouTube videos I've watched, the obvious stuff like motor volts, amps, rpm, poles, but the motor doesn't run so it must be something else. There is a parameter for Motor No-Load Current and the factory default is 40. There is no LRA listed on the motor plate, but there is a KVA code J, from which I calculated the LRA as 94 amps. Should I replace the NO-Load Current value of 40 with 94? That could explain the over current error message I keep getting. But what I know about this you can put in a thimble so that's why I'm here.

I have double checked the internal motor wiring and it's correct.

Does anyone have experience with HuanYang VFD's? I'd sure appreciate some help. Thanks.

John

Can you post a pic of your wiring into the VFD? Also the model of your VFD? There are lots of VFD by HuanYang. I just got one, a 4k 3 phase output. The important piece is it's supposed to be 1 phase input. Is yours a 1 phase input? If it's a 3 phase input ONLY it won't work, you have to double the size of the VFD.

My model is a HY04D023B. Here is a picture. Does your's look like this with the same model?

This will likely be a useful thread as more and more people are using the 5hp 4kw model.

Last edited by Patrick Irish; 05-01-2017 at 10:11 PM.

You're getting some good advice over at WN. It shouldn't be this hard. I've installed 6 or so now and none needed delving into the nitty gritty like you're doing. I haven't done a HY, but I have done a cheap eBay HY look a like and the hardest part was wiring an external switch. There are a lot of happy HY users out there - have you searched on OWWM yet? Or Practical Machinist?

Patrick - Looks like you forgot to attach the pic FYI.

I'm not familiar with that VFD, in particular, but I'm sure any VFD has the ability to set the ramp-up speed. You probably just have it set too slow, and it's trying to start too fast. Set the "accel speed" (or something similar) to a longer duration and try it.

Acceleration should be not less then 3 seconds, braking similar or the VFD will overload. You post does not say what horsepower the FVD is rated for. Is the motor single speed and what voltage is it wired for. If it is belt drive disconnect the belt so only the motor is turning. It could be bad bearing. How are you switching the vfd and motor on and off?

94 amps at 220 volts is insane FLA for woodworking. that is somewhere between 30-40 horsepower. Five horsepower should be something around 15 amps FLA on three phase. maybe double that for inrush if there was no VFD.
    Bill

Hello John
    What message comes up when you say over current during ramp up ?
    If you are using the same terminology as in the manual, you should not need to program the parameters you are talking about.
    I presume you have watched the youtube vid by DJB HSI ...since you mentioned youtube vids.
    Maybe it would be a good idea to take the load off the motor ...disconnect the belts, if adjusting the ramp up does not work.

Might as well write this for the sake of it....
    Doubtful, but have you installed a pot? ....I have since disconnected mine on my bandsaw, since it kept making my 2.2kw VFD malfunction.
    There is a master reset along with parameter reset on the 2.2kw.
    I program PD13 to 1 instead of 8 for reset....(Older version apparently)...
    And the other one when it malfunctions is to take off, just the front panel (2 screws)...there is a ribbon cable that is connected to the control remote.
    Disconnect and reconnect it, and it will work again , and not display the dreaded Huanyang LV error code
    Wait for the capacitors to bleed off the stored power before attempting to dismantle anything.
    Hope the machine is a cracker
    Good luck
    Tom

Thanks all, much appreciated. I agree, it shouldn't be this hard, at least from watching the You Tube videos it looked easy, but something is not right. I have the HY04D023B, 4 KW unit, exactly the same as you show Patrick. It is single phase 220V input, 3 phase 230 V output to a 5 HP 3 phase motor that has a FLA rating of 12.2. The 94 amps I talked about earlier is the calculated locked rotor amps.

I have line power coming directly to the VFD and output directly from the VFD to the motor. I'll install a disconnect and on/off switch once I get it to run. I've checked the motor wiring, twice, and it's correct internally and from the VFD.

I started by doing a parameter reset at PD013=8, and then programmed in the parameters the video outlined. The motor sometimes begins to ramp up, ever so slowly, when I hit Run, but then trips out with and E.OC.A error message, which stands for Error. Over Current. At Acceleration. Other times, I get that message immediately when I press Run w/o the motor moving at all. I have nothing on the motor now, but it still won't start.

Patrick, can you send me the parameters you have input for your motor? That might do it for me. Thanks everyone.

John

Hi John
    I'm just gonna ask the basics so the pro's don't have to ...
    They can focus on the more complicated stuff.
    It might make good reading for some folks...

Presuming that the motor is dual voltage, as in... it's got 220v (triangle embalm for low voltage delta) stamped on the motor nameplate.
    Presuming you have changed over the straps on the motor terminals from star 400v to delta 230v ?
    How many seconds have you programmed in for startup ?
    Is your motor turning backwards ? could this be a problem ?

My basic parameters and regime is on my machines are as follows...

Change over terminal straps to suit low voltage mode...
    Hit PD13 and do a factory reset ..1 in my case not 8 ....2.2KW version don't know bout the rest.
    PD3 50HZ I'm in Ireland ...60HZ in USA
    PD4 50HZ... USA 60HZ
    PD5 50HZ... USA 60HZ
    PD8 230V in Ireland
    PD14 acceleration ...set to motor load ..I have it to 7 seconds for 24" bandsaw ..don't want to strain VFD
    PD15 decelerate ...I have set mine to 20 seconds or more as to not strain VFD (parts not present in my VFD's for external breaking resistor)
    PD44 forward rotation is 2
    PD46 stop is 4
    PD141 is motor voltage 230v in Ireland I have experimented and found no difference between 220/230/240V
    PD142 motor current 8.10A on my 2.2KW bandsaw in delta configuration
    PD143 motor pole number... 2870 RPM on my bandsaw that means it's a 2 pole motor... so " 2 "
    PD144 Motor RPM 2870 on my bandsaw

If motor goes in reverse ...swap any 2 of the motor output wires U V or W around to change rotation....WAIT FOR POWER TO DRAIN from capacitors !!!!

When I wire up switches, I change PD1 to 1 for external buttons .
    To have 3 wire control i.e .. a start and a stop button
    FORward terminal into a green NO (normally open start button) the other side of the switch goes into the RST TERMINAL
    DCM terminal goes into red NC (normally closed switch) the other side goes into the RST terminal also ...(wrap both wires together)
    This wire will not give you a shock and you can handle these before wiring up into switches.
    The stop wires must be together for the system to work...
    then with the start wires you just strike them together for a second and she runs...
    Pull the stop wires apart and she stops.

Hope this helps somebody
    Good luck
    Tom
    Last edited by Tom Trees; 05-02-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

Patrick, can you send me the parameters you have input for your motor? That might do it for me. Thanks everyone.

John

I just got mine last week, flipped through the manual, and put it back in the box. Need to run a new 220 outlet first as I'm sharing my dryer outlet with the table saw and jointer. I can't even figure out where the 'line in' goes from the wall and the 3 phase out is to the motor.

Figured posting up the model # and picture panel will others searching. Many amazon and ebay sellers do not specify which model it is.

Thanks for all the details on how your unit is set up, Tom. I went up to my friend's this AM and did a reset on the VFD (PD013=8), then started over, and entered only those parameters related to the motor and incoming power, and accepted everything else as the factory defaults. The acceleration is 15 seconds. Won't start. Same E.OC.A error message. I tried turning the motor by hand as I hit the Run button; no luck.

We called the motor shop where my friend bought the motor and confirmed that they had run the motor at 230V, 3 phase power before he picked it up, and I confirmed again that the motor leads are joined correctly and correct from the motor to the VFD. I added a separate ground cable from the motor back to the VFD grounding lug, for safety, but that had no influence on starting, and it shouldn't.

Here is what I have set the parameters at. If it ain't listed, it's the factory default.

PD003 = main freq. = 60 hz
    PD004 = Base freq. = 60 hz
    PD005 = Min.Operating Freq. = 60 hz
    PD008 = Max. Voltage = 220 V
    PD014 = Accel. Time 1 = 15 sec, which is the default, just confirming what it's at
    PD015 - Decel. Time = didn't check, but should be 15 sec.
    PD141 = Motor Voltage = 230V
    PD142 = Rated Motor Amps. = 12.2 A from FLA on motor plate
    PD143 = Motor Pole Number = 2
    PD144 = Motor Revolutions = 3510
    PD146 = Motor No Load Current = 4 A

Anyone here have a HuanYang VFD with 1 phase input running a 3 phase motor? If so, what are your inputs for the above parameters and what am I missing? Thanks very much.

John

Hi John
    I would not trust what they say is default , It may not be.
    And parameter reset might not be 8 either.
    On the 2.2kw VFD you have to type it in seconds and not a number that determines a set time.
    Type it in manually if you can, or change it to a longer time.
    Can you turn the shaft by hand?

You say it was ran at 230V and you double checked it...
    So can confirm that the straps are connected for delta voltage like so...
    SAM_1698.JPG
    Are you still trying to run this without load ?
    Can your motor run backwards ...is there something stopping this from happening ?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your continued help. The motor turns freely by hand and there are no belts on it Yes, the motor can run backwards as far as I know. When it did try to start it turned in the direction I needed so I didn't pursue it any further. I would have swapped two of the leads had it run backwards, as one normally does with 3 phase motors. The motor is a YY type per the motor manufacturer (TechTop model GR3-CI-TF-184T-2-B-D-5). There are 9 leads in the motor box. For 230 volts 3 of the leads are bundled together and pairs of the 6 remaining leads go to each of the 3 incoming power legs from the VFD.

With this VFD you input numbers by pushing the up/down buttons in the blinking field and you move from one digit to the next by pushing the scroll (>>) button. There is no keypad per se. I have checked the acceleration time and it is 15 seconds; should be infinitely long with nothing connected to the motor. Also, PD013 = 8 does work to take it back to the factory defaults; I have verified it twice now.

More thoughts? I hope.

John

Well, I guess you are going to learn a lot about this thing - assuming we get mine sorted out before you get to yours.

The line in connections are R, S, and T (any 2 for single phase incoming power), and E is your ground wire. Power out to the motor are connections U, V, W. These are on the bottom buss inside the lower VFD panel. It's on pages 9, 10, and 12 of the manual.

John