Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HuanYang VFD parameters. Help!

I found a 2015 post on Owwm where a someone was using a 5hp HY04D023B. I messaged them for info and their parameters. This is their response below, maybe it will help.

This VFD works as it should with my 5HP radial arm saw. Please note that I don't over work it or use it everyday and the only issue I've had has been when sometimes cutting thicker wood it will give me an over-current at constant speed error (E.0.C.n). This may be my circuit feeding the VFD or the saw but not sure as I haven't had time to trouble shoot it.

I control the start/stop with a magnetic switch and I have an emergency stop switch as well. These simply make/break the continuity of the FOR/DCM (COM) external inputs.

Model: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TOP-QUAL...:X:AAQ:US:1123

Parameters:

PD001= 1 (external start/stop switch)
    PD003 = 60 Hz
    PD004 = 60 Hz
    PD005 = 60 Hz

PD008 = 230 Volts

PD044 = 2 (Forward Rotation)

PD141 = 230 Volts
    PD142 = 13 Amps
    PD143 = 4
    PD144 = 3480 RPM

I received this message from the ebay seller after ordering:

Dear friend,

I hope you are having a good day! If you don't know how to make the proper electrical connections, the following will help you:

Connect "R" and "T" (at the inverter) to the single phase power supply. You could also connect "R" and "S" or "S" and "T". Both ways are ok.

If you use it with three phase input, then connect the three phase power supply to "R, S T", and then connect the "U, V, W " to the load.

If you use this VFD for a motor 0-400Hz, Please set the parameters of the VFD as follows - step by step - and don't change the sequence:

Step 1: Set PD005 =400
    Step 2: Set PD004 =400
    Step 3: Set PD003 =400
    Step 4: Set PD072 =400

If your motor is 0-60Hz, then you need to change the above "400" values to "60”. The orginal factory value setting is "50", so it must be changed if you are not using 50Hz power.

Thanks Patrick; much appreciated. The last part is interesting, that the sequence in which those parameters are entered is important. I've read others say it is completely irrelevant, as it should be. But what the heck, we'll try it. Thanks.

John

We tried the specific order to enter those parameters. No change. There probably is something else wrong with the VFD anyway, but I'd say that it's urban legend non the less.

My friend has had enough. He's buying a static phase converter from a company less then 10 miles from my house and we'll get it installed this weekend. Losing 1/3 of the HP probably won't matter anyway and for $60 it's cheap to get him running.

I really appreciate the help everyone offered with this. It's great to have such knowledgeable people here willing to take the time to look for solutions.

John

Man I was really hoping we'd get it running so when I wire mine it works without bugs.

I'm debating sending it back and paying more for a reputable brand or making a rotary phase converter. I emailed the amazon seller and they said it 18am input and 27amps out put.

Aside from the device itself, is that enough for single phase in and used to power my 5hp motor rated at 12 amps? It's for a old planer.

My 5HP HY VFD worked out of the box. I am left wondering if they just didn't test it on 2 pole motors. Doesn't really make sense though, those are reasonably common, and they are cheaper.

Patrick
    I believe PD143 should be 2 instead of 4 if the motors rpm is 3480

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    This VFD is designed for either 1 phase or 3 phase input. I have it wired to a 220V, 1 phase, 30 amp line, using 2 of the 3 input terminals as described in the manual. You use all 3 terminals if running 3 phase input. I can find nothing in the specs that list the input amp requirements, only the output of 18 amps, 3 phase.

John

This sounds like you have a three phase input VFD, which if derated can be used on single phase as mentioned above.

One would think that a 3 phase input VFD should be able to start and run a bare motor. So whether the drive is derated or not, for testing with an unloaded motor, may be a moot point.

It is possible that the manufacturer put larger diodes on the input side so it could be used without derating on single phase. This would not impact three phase operation, aside from making the drive a little more expensive to manufacture.

So the jury is still out.

Hope you get the issue resolved soon!

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    This sounds like you have a three phase input VFD, which if derated can be used on single phase as mentioned above.

One would think that a 3 phase input VFD should be able to start and run a bare motor. So whether the drive is derated or not, for testing with an unloaded motor, may be a moot point.

It is possible that the manufacturer put larger diodes on the input side so it could be used without derating on single phase. This would not impact three phase operation, aside from making the drive a little more expensive to manufacture.

So the jury is still out.

Hope you get the issue resolved soon!

Bill
    This is actually the main concern I have. The seller specifically said on their Amazon listing that this is a single phase input model.

I don't know if there is a difference between a HuanYang VFD single phase only input model OR a HuanYang single/ 3 phase input model.

I know HuanYang has 3 phase input only models. Those like all other 3 phase input models, will be derated so it's advised to get double the horsepower than the motor that's being powered.

Yes, the motor is 3510 rpm, so it's a 2 pole motor.

John

Patrick, I think they told you backwards. It's more likely 27 amps input at single phase and 18 amps output at 3 phase. Anyway, the unit is rated at 4 KW output, which is about 5.3 hp.

John

I think they just put bigger caps in the single phase versions, if anything. This takes a lot longer to start up than the U.S. VFD it replaced. I should probably put an ammeter on it to see what the startup draw is.

Just one last note on this. Whoever said I should pull off the front and disconnect the flex cable to reset the error codes - I did that today. When I put it back together and plugged it in a couple of codes I hadn't seen before flashed on the screen momentarily, and then it looked normal. OK, maybe it did something. I checked all the parameters and all but the motor voltage looked unchanged from where I had left them. The motor voltage might have gotten changed, too, I forget, it's been such a long story I'm going nuts just thinking about it. Anyway, you can guess where this is going - E.OC.A. Had I had a gun with me I would have put it out of it's misery.

We're moving on. Anyone need a never used Huan Yang 4 KW VFD? I'm sure my friend will cut you a good deal. No further response from the seller either.

I want to thank everyone one more time for your efforts to help resolve this. It was greatly appreciated, regardless of the outcome.

John

I'd file a claim with eBay.

Oh I'm sure my friend will if the seller doesn't offer a refund.

John

I'm sorry that didn't work for you John
    Just for another last crack of the whip, I'd try and enter 1 instead of 8 into PD13.
    "Cindy" told me ...."Oh that's the old model"
    Have a look at what parameters have changed before running obviously.
    I guess you might be getting super stressed out fast, at the keypad by now.

I don't know how long this flex (you have more terminology than I have) needs to be pulled out for ...I waited for about 30 seconds.
    It nearly sounded like it was going to work there ...
    I do hope you get this sorted
    Fingers crossed for you John
    Tom

If it was me I'd try just the parameters I wrote earlier only.