Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: HuanYang VFD parameters. Help!

I forgot to mention, on the video that seems to be disappeared, the dude mentioned/showed that the tracers was burned on the input side of his VFD.
    He ran a big solder up through one of them I think, or maybe he bypassed it altogether....
    Anyway since you have not used your drive I would think there's a possibility one of those tracers on the input could be damaged.
    Try switching your input wires to R+T or R+S or S+T to see if you have a good connection.
    Tom

Hi guys, have a wire gauge question for you.

Will 10/3 600v SOOW wire work? I'm powering a 5hp 12.5 amp draw motor. I don't mind being over kill on the wire to play it safe.

I need to run probably a 15-20' length from the motor to the VFD and then probably about 10ft from the VFD to the 220 outlet.

Will the 10/3 wire be able to be used for both sides of the VFD? I haven't wired anything 3 phase before and don't know if I need 10/4 wire to the motor and 10/3 from wall to VFD.

10/3 will work on both sides. Not sure what you're going to do with the third conductor on the input side though. I saw one video that said to run it to the ground on the vfd and put ground to the case, but I decided not to do that, just terminated it inside the cabinet my vfd is in.

I usually use flexible conduit between the motor and the vfd. But like I said, I have a small cabinet on the back of my lathe to hold all the wiring and terminate the conduit.

The end of this long saga is a happy one, but does not involve the VFD. We bought a static phase converter from a company that is actually less than 10 miles from my house. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-3-5-Hp-St...4AAOSwBP9UYfcn

For the princely sum of $48 we thought, what the heck, let's try it, so we did. The installation directions are clear, though whoever wrote them should use spell check, and I got it wired in in less than an hour. Our initial tests were not entirely successful. With the belts off the motor jumped right up to full speed, but once I put the belts on it would not come up to full speed in less than 5 seconds. The manufacturer said not to let the unit run longer than 5 seconds if the red indicator light did not go out, which signals that the motor is up to speed and the voltage relay has tripped out the capacitors. I called the company and talked to the sole proprietor, a very helpful guy who must have spent 30 minutes with me, helping diagnose the problem. After some voltage checks he concluded that adding another capacitor might cure the problem and, if that didn't do it, he had a couple of more ideas. So my friend went up to his shop and picked up another capacitor and some jumpers to add it t the unit. I went up today and we tried it out. The difference was dramatic, and the motor drug that monster cutterhead, probably 60 - 70 lbs, up to full speed in just 5 seconds and the pilot light shut off. We were in business.

We cycled it a couple of times, letting it rest for a minute or two between cycles. All good. Time for a real test. We turned it on and edge jointed some 4/4 stock. Non issue. So I went and got a piece of 2 x 10 construction lumber, set the cut for something more than 1/16", and pushed it through. Another non issue. We couldn't hear any difference in the motor.

So we only have 3.3 HP now but the jointer seems to run just fine. The motor and cutterhead run very smoothly. To think that the static phase converter only cost $48 is mind boggling. Having the help of the manufacturer, however, was key to getting it to work. If you have need for a static phase converter, I can recommend the above company w/o reservations.

No additional response from the VFD supplier after they asked for photos, videos etc.; I sent them a photo. My friend will try contacting them again and, if he gets no response, will contact Ebay directly to see what they can do.

Now, back to some woodworking.

John

I just wired up one of these, may even be the cheaper more generic version, only 150 bucks.

Spent 10 minutes playing with parameters and it runs this old 5hp direct drive American jointer like a champ. still need to add start stop station but I did shoot a little video. I will upload it after I get home from my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I just wired up one of these, may even be the cheaper more generic version, only 150 bucks.

Spent 10 minutes playing with parameters and it runs this old 5hp direct drive American jointer like a champ. still need to add start stop station but I did shoot a little video. I will upload it after I get home from my shop.
    Happy it worked out for you Darcy. We ended up going with a static phase converter. Even cheaper, $100. Works fine. If it only supplies 2/3 the power the other 1/3 wasn't needed.

John

something I bought came with a static converter, they are very simple, but work fine. I lent it to someone and he blew it up somehow. Fixing it probably wouldn't cost very much, but I like VFD's. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Thanks Darcy. One day I hope to get a vintage 5hp planer that'll need that video!

This is promising! I think I'll run my 220 outlets this weekend. Dying to get my 5hp Powermatic planer up and running

Is 12 gauge wire good to use? It's rated for 20amps. My 5hp 3 phase planer motor states 12.6 amps on the nameplate. I picked up about 50ft of 12/3 from my dad and was about to use but started reading more and a post said 10 gauge is needed on the input side AND 12 gauge is fine on the output (VFD to motor) side.

I'm getting too confused to make any progress.

I currently have an extension cord I use for my 3hp Unisaw and 3hp jointer, both single phase. It's plugged into my dryer 220 in the garage. I was planning to use this cord and the put the correct male end on the VFD cord BUT noticed the dryer extension cord has a 15 amp 6-15 neme female end. That's not gonna work for my 5hp 3 phase planer correct?

I cannot for life of find a formula to figure out amp draw. If my 5hp 3 phase motor is 12.5 amps, does it only draw 12.5 of single phase amps once hooked up to the VFD or does it draw it more or less?

I can get 10 gage wire and add a 30amp male plug to it if I need to.

Three phase uses less amps per wire because it has three wires instead of just two like single phase uses. So you may need bigger wires into the VFD then out.
    Bill D

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/elctrical-motor-full-load-current-d_1499.html

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/a...ase-d_449.html