Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HuanYang VFD parameters. Help!

Hello again
    Whats PD01 set to ...should be 0 without swtchgear.
    You did not mention PD44 or PD 46,
    I think I matched PD8 with PD141 and I tried 220/230/240V.
    Is there any instance where PD13 is set to 1 on the net for your size VFD ...Mine does a reset on 8 also, but some things are slightly different.
    I would try a different accel time for the crack ..you get quick at entering these after a while.
    And try entering decel time also
    I have never touched PD146
    Sorry I can't be more help that's about the best of my knowledge.
    Verification necessary on the following .....
    Maybe you could try getting another motor to try and see if it runs ...
    I think you can run a smaller motor on a larger rated VFD
    You seem to be doing parameter resets anyway, might be worth a shot

Tom
    Good luck

Should PD008 and PD141 be equal? Is your voltage at the line in higher than 220V by any chance?

Hi Tom,

Thanks again. Yes. PD001 = 0 as I'm not using an external switch yet. I have tried 220V and 230V for PD008 (line voltage) and PD141 (motor voltage), both the same at each level, and just 220V for PD008 and 230V for PD141, with no effect. When the motor did try to start, both values were at 220V. No clue if PD013 can be reset using 1, but I know it works with 8, as the manual instructs. I'll check the decel time, but I'm pretty sure it's 15 seconds. Not sure why that value would influence starting, however, regardless of what value is entered. PD146 is the no-load current and the factory default is 40 amps. The times the motor tried to start that was the value in the VFD. I changed it to 4 when TechTop told me the motor had a no-load current value of 4 amps, but it hasn't helped solve the problem, but likely hasn't hurt either.

I would try a smaller motor if I had one. The HY model I have is rated at 4 KW (5.4 HP) and 18 amps and the motor we're using is 5 HP with a FLA rating of 12.2. One would think it should work OK, but ....

John

You should ask in the electrical section of OWWM. There are lots of very well versed VFD folks over there.
    There's always the possibily you have a dud. Also, might have been a good idea to buy a more supported VFD such as a TECO from Factorymation. 20/20 hindsight I know.

I talked to "Cindy" and got good feedback ...these guys are so cool...
    Its only earth, it doesn't matter
    I suggested entering a decel value, as there might be a requirement for this to be entered for it to run.
    I suggested the ramp up adjustment change, as it might not be correct in the book either.
    I'd stick to what parameters I entered and see what happens ..with no load .

I have heard of motors with a DC brake ...would this have something to do with it ?
    Hope you get this running
    Tom

Thanks very much Tom. I assume "Cindy" is your HY contact? OK, I'll try PD014 = 7 sec. and PD015 = 20 sec. and see if that does it. As far as I know, this motor has no internal braking. TechTop says "the motor is designed to the NEMA MG1 Part 31 requirements so it is perfectly capable of running on a VFD.". Knowing nothing about this, I'll take him at his word.

John

John,
    The law of halves: Is it the motor or the drive?

Drive - -
    Have you tried to run this at greatly reduced speed - - say 10-15Hz? Even if there is a configuration problem in the VFD, this should keep the current below the over-current trip threshold. If it will run at low speed, root cause is probably the VFD. So, halve it again: Is it the config or the hardware? (I don't know this particular drive, so may be of limited help on this side of it.)

Motor - -
    If it won't run at low speed, it is probably the motor (??shorted?? perhaps in spite of what the motor shop said.)

Also, I don't remember if you said this is first experience with a VFD. If it is a 1st, VFDs make motors emit a rather unique 'ring' with nearly any non-zero speed output. Not sure if this is a help, or how to interpret silence, but if it does ring, I'd suspect the VFD config.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-02-2017 at 8:50 PM.

Another possibility - - Look carefully in the manual for the units of the accel/decel times. It is very common in the automation/control world to express time setpoints as milliseconds. So your '2' might be a neck-snapping 2msec. Or, maybe its in 10ths of seconds (so your '2' is still very fast 0.2sec). Set the accel parameter to 4000 (or as high as you can get it?) and see what happens. ...I know this is a shot in the dark.

Thanks very much Malcolm. First VFD (nightmare) experience. The time unit in the manual for accel/decel time is S; I take that to mean seconds. The range is 01 - 6500.0 S, however, which seems extraordinarily long, but what do I know. I did try accel times all the way up to 100 S with no luck.

I did try setting the main freq. to 5 Hz and it tripped out. However, the base freq. was still 60 Hz. I can try setting the main, base, and max. frequencies to 10 or 15 Hz and see what happens. Probably won't get to it 'till tomorrow afternoon, though. In the end, I think the motor is fine; it's brand new and the motor shop said they ran it, so ....

When the motor did start to run the once or two times it did, I didn't hear anything obvious.

John

No experience with your VFD but lots of experience with Automation Direct and after 3hp, to use single phase in ans three phase out, you need to double the rating of the VFD. Ie. for a 5hp three phase motor, you would need a 10hp VFD. Are you sure that the unit is large enough. Having said that, with no load, you should be able to run the motor, it just won't put out full HP. I did work on one of those once and the connections were a bear to get to. Are you sure that everything is connected correctly?
    CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    ...Here is what I have set the parameters at. If it ain't listed, it's the factory default.

PD003 = main freq. = 60 hz
    PD004 = Base freq. = 60 hz
    PD005 = Min.Operating Freq. = 60 hz
    I did try setting the main freq. to 5 Hz and it tripped out.
    When the motor did start to run the once or two times it did, I didn't hear anything obvious.
    Sorry, I should have been more clear.
    Leave PD003 & PD004 at 60Hz (respectively, these tell the VFD what to expect from the power supply and what the motor was designed for*).
    Set PD005 to 10Hz (this 'hard-codes' the lowest speed that the operator can request from the keypad*).
    Turn the speed 'command' down to 10-15Hz and then start the VFD ('RUN' button - or whatever its called). Coupled with a long Accel setpoint, this should keep the current draw below the trip. Hopefully.

Not sure what to tell you about the lack of 'ring'....? I've never seen a functional VFD/motor system that didn't do it.

------
    * - I think this is what the parameters do - based on my very limited knowledge of this specific VFD, but filtered thru knowledge of Allen-Bradley/Woods/Siemens/Toshiba VFDs I have commissioned.

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks very much. I think PD003 (main frequency) is the only parameter that can be adjusted from the front panel during operation on the unit I have. PD005 is the Max. Operating Frequency and has a range of 50 - 400 hz, so it can't be set to 10 hz. PD003 has a range of 0 - 400 hz.

How do you turn down the speed command? Sorry to appear so ignorant, but I really have no clue what that means or how you do it.

John

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks very much. I think PD003 (main frequency) is the only parameter that can be adjusted from the front panel during operation on the unit I have. PD005 is the Max. Operating Frequency and has a range of 50 - 400 hz, so it can't be set to 10 hz. PD003 has a range of 0 - 400 hz.

How do you turn down the speed command? Sorry to appear so ignorant, but I really have no clue what that means or how you do it.

John
    Apparently the ignorance is mine... I saw the 'Min Operating Freq' in a previous post, so started making too many assumptions. ...Sorry. Lacking a manual, I will back off and stop offering opinions about the specific parameters. However, I do think the slow speed test is valid - - if we can figure out how to do it.

I realize your primary objective in using the VFD is to 'make' 3-phase power, but it's original design and intended purpose is to allow variable speed control - - so the functionality must be there. There is probably either a rotary potentiometer (speed pot) or speed UP/DWN push-buttons on the operator interface. I'll have to refer you to the operator manual (or manufacturer's web video maybe?) for how to find this.

Drop the speed preset as low as you can, and then try to run it.

This link may help. I'm sifting through myself.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/spindl...gs-manual.html

If you google search on their main page "HY04D023B" a few other threads pop up, nothing major though as the link above.

I was just about to forget this thing and go with a more expensive Rotary Phase Converter with a 15hp motor....but I think I'll give it a try with the information provided here on and via that link above.

Also a quick tutorial. Might be entering through menus wrong.

http://yertiz.com/cnc/inverter.pdf
    Last edited by Patrick Irish; 05-03-2017 at 2:33 PM.

Hi All,

Just got back from another frustrating hour with it - still no luck. PD003 is the parameter where you can change the frequency directly on the control interface. I set it to 5, 10, 20, 50 - no luck. E.OC.A every time. I changed PD014 (Accel) to 7, 10, 30, 50. Same result. I changed PD015 (Decel) to 10, 15, 30, 50. Same result. I changed stop from braking to free spin. Same.

I had an ammeter on one of the 120V supply wires to the VFD. It registered a fairly constant 0.2 to 0.3 A. The peak hold didn't not show any spikes, nor did I see the ammeter blip at all when it tripped out. It's just not sending power to the motor.

I'm getting to the last of my patience with this thing. I think there are just a few options left. Someone has this unit running something and can send me the parameters that work for them. I send the VFD back for a replacement. I send it back for a refund and buy another brand. I pull the motor and VFD out and take it to the motor shop that the motor came from so they can confirm the motor is good and we can test the VFD on another motor, and go from there.

Thanks very much everyone for your help.

John