Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grandpeanut's Toy Box

Hi Ken,

Good job again! A photo when it done! (Please)

You are wise to listen to your back. I don't have many back issues, but have sometimes failed to listen to other issues, knees etc., until I am forced to take it easy and sometimes have to pay the price for being foolhearty.

Stew

The Box is finished....Kind of. I still need to figure out a lid "stay". Once the stores are open I'll run to HD and Woodcraft to see what is available. While I'm at it I'll have the free 'lunch' at Costco. Anyway here is a photo of the toy box with the lid down:

And one with lid open:

The box is made from a white pine (who knows which one) with standard construction: Dovetailed box, Rail and stile with panel lid, and tongue and groove bottom. The box has 4 or 5 coats of "Red Pepper" milk paint as a base and about the same number of "Federal Blue" milk paint overcoats. The bottom and inside has several coats of Amber shellac to which I will add a bee's wax and oil finish. The milk paint will rub off with use, displaying along the rub areas layers of paint and wood. By choosing paint colors with the wear pattern in mind the box can change its look as it wears.

We were going to meet the girl child, hubby and peanut in West Texas next weekend but the campgrounds where we were to meet is closed for cleaning. I've not a clue when or how the box will make it to Houston...Bottom line my part is done and it is time to move on to the next project, back willing.

ken

Looks great Paw Paw! Sounds like you folks are makin' a road trip to houston soon. (I can hear the Blues Brothers playin in the background already!

Ken,

Another +1, definitely nice work Grandpa! The grandkid will appreciate it even more when grown up. Maybe one, or more, of your great grandchildren will use it.

I have never used milk paint, but really like the look. I will need to eventually check out milk paint.

Thanks for finished project pictures.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Very nice Ken, did you list the dimensions?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks guys, it was a fun build, some to do with who it was intended for and some because it is a pretty standard chest/box needing little butt scratching other than on sizes and finishing.

Jim,

The box size is 250mm (10") X 910mm (35 3/4") X 280mm (11"). You can add 25mm to each to account the base and dust shield for overall footprint.

ken

Ok....this really is the last one. Added a "pull" to the lid and the box is finished and out of the shop.