Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Socket chisels, how store? Upright?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Also, Jerry, having used my open-tipped racks for a few months now, I highly recommend the bottom shelf that Ray uses. I have cut my fingers on the edges more often reaching for things below the chisel rack than when actually using the chisels. It's a subtle point, but the speed with which I reach for things appears to cause deeper slices into my fingers than during actual usage.
    The other reason for the bevel protection- I used to have my sharpening station right below this rack. I knew I would cut myself sooner or later.
    Last edited by Ray Bohn; 05-04-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Markunas View Post
    I'd consider going edge down and just setting your rack up to suspend them from the socket and not the handle.
    Yes, this.

Plane Till (53).jpg . Plane Till (54).jpg

I drilled a reverse sequence of larger and larger holes to create the "cone".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have LN socket chisels, and when I built my wall cabinet a mounted the chisel holders using 1-1/4 by 3/4 x12" brackets screwed to the insides of the front doors. Be sure to follow the advice to suspend the metal part of the chisel, not the handle. To do this, I bored 3/8 holes spaced a couple of inched apart in the brackets. I then used a Veritas tapered mortise cutter to taper the holes to a size to fit each chisel. The last step is to cut away the front of the tapered mortise with a fine saw so that the chisel can be slipped into the holder at its narrowest part at the base of the chisel socket. By making the brackets this way, the chisel can't fall through the holder even if the handle slips out of the chisel (a common occurrence with LN chisels that haven't been used in awhile).

Based on your various ideas and suggestions, I am rethinking my approach for hanging the socket chisels.
    All your ideas make sense...Thank you all.
    Jerry