Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting the angle on grinder platform

Dittos on the robohippy platform. Pull a pin and move the platform in 5 degree increments . I love it.

Hi John
    Thank you for your post
    Sorry for the delay in replying I did have thoughts similar to the ones you make but was unsure how critical they were Please see the link

http://honoluluwoodturners.org/16_ti...g%20demyst.pdf It think this may be away forward

I agree, the Stuart Batty system works very well for me to adjust a grinding platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mills View Post
    I recently bought the Stuart Batty angle gauge and I like it a lot.
    Trevor

Batty gauge is designed to give an accurate angle in relation to an 8 inch grinding wheel. I use it to freehand sharpen his 40/40 grind which I've been trying out.

Here's my $0.02 - If you are using AO wheels which change size as they wear, then the Raptor or Batty gauge will give consistent results while the Wixey will not as it does not take wheel shrinkage into account. The change from one sharpening to the next will not be noticeable, but over then life of the wheel could be drastic.

OTOH, if you have moved to CBN wheels then the Wixey or Reed's platform is fine and gives consistent results. The consistency of the grind is far more important than the specific angle.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

This post is a little confusing. First you start out talking about the platform than you say the way forward is a jig to set the vari-grind jig.

I think this video is IMHO is one of the better demonstration on sharpening. It is featured in one of the latest AAW news letters. http://thompsonlathetools.com/sharpening/ he also favors the robohippy "platform" set-up jig.