Thread: July holiday in Toronto /New York

July holiday in Toronto /New York

We are planning to travel from the United Kingdom for a 2 week holiday starting 1st July The first week will be spent in Toronto and the second week in New York

Ideas Please , suggestions things to do places to eat

Our group is made up of Mom dad, daughter age 21, son age 17

My son will celebrate his 18th birthday when we are in New York

regards Brian

You may want to go up the CN Tower and if you're into theme parks try Canada's Wonderland.

july 1 is canada day so you might want to research what festivities are happening. The zoo is very good. Side trip to Niagara falls (take the maid of the mist). stay on the canadian side as it's much nicer.

Toronto is the nearest big city to us and we like it, but it really isn't a tourist destination.
    New York is certainly worth a week.
    Are you driving between the two, or flying?

Blog Entries
    The Science Center is a interesting day. Take a trip over to St. Catherines or Welland and see the ships going through the locks. The Blue Jays play at an Indoor Stadium if you've never seen a baseball game. Much more action than Cricket. There is usually lots going on at Harbourfront Centre.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We went to Toronto a couple years back. We went to an outlet mall west of town, toured Casa Loma, stayed at the Hilton, walked around downtown, went to St. Lawrence Market, and did the CN tower. Other than the fact we went in December and caught a surprise bad snowstorm on the way home, it was a nice weekend trip.

Hi, I would certainly go to The Distillery District http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/ for lunch or dinner.

The ROM (Royal Ontario Museum). AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario), Ripley's Aquarium https://www.ripleyaquariums.com/canada/, and of course we have 3 Lee Valley stores including one downtown.

If you like flowers, Edward's Gardens are a beautiful walk..................And if I'm in town and you're interested in meeting up for a coffee, let me know.............Regards, Rod.

Keep in mind the July 1 is Canada Day, and this year is Canada's 150th birthday. If you haven't booked your hotel already, the chances are you may not find a room. I'm in Ottawa and here, hotels booked up very quickly at outrageous prices.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, I would certainly go to The Distillery District http://www.thedistillerydistrict.com/ for lunch or dinner.

The ROM (Royal Ontario Museum).

Lee Valley stores including one downtown.
    We did these too--forgot about them.

A huge thankyou for your thoughts and suggestions I did not know 1st July was Canada day and the links given have been helpful

regards Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I certainly agree with this advice and don't even drink. It's an interesting place.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    A huge thankyou for your thoughts and suggestions I did not know 1st July was Canada day and the links given have been helpful

regards Brian
    Not only will it be Canada Day, it will be our sesquicentennial...........................regards , rod.

If you wanna spend a day on the beach and have a car, head an hour and a bit north of Toronto to Wasaga Beach, the world's longest fresh water beach where you can walk out hundreds of yards and still touch the sandy bottom.

Great place to eat up there is Catch-22.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Toronto is the nearest big city to us and we like it, but it really isn't a tourist destination.
    New York is certainly worth a week.
    Are you driving between the two, or flying?
    Thank you wade for your post If you were visiting Canada for 5 days how would you suggest we spend our time

regards Brian

If I had 5 days in Eastern Canada, I would go to Montreal and Nova Scotia. I mainly go to Ontario to rock climb, but have been to Toronto 20 times over the years. It is a great city with restaurants and museums, but you probably have those back home. I like to do things on vacation that aren't available at hone.

Niagara Falls is worth a couple days. There is the Maid of the Mist, the Jetboat ride, and the Glen. Lots of other touristy things that aren't all that interesting.
    Buffalo has three WWII boats; I happen to find warships fascinating.
    Rochester has the George Eastman House and the Strong Museum of Play. I didn't care for them, but they are the finest of their kind.
    If you like wine, people love the Finger Lakes Wine Tours. You could spend your whole 5 days there. Niagara also has a wine tour, but Ontario isn't really know for wine.
    I know you don't have any mountains back there, so Lake Placid is wonderful if you like the outdoors. It is not the Rockies, but Cascade is 1250m and easy enough for my dog to climb. You can watch skier practice the jumps and go down a bobsled.
    Corning Glass is worth a stop on your way to NY.

Obviously there are many other things, but these are the unique places.