Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried this method with your DC?

Has anyone tried this method with your DC?

I've got a 2hp Grizzly DC in my shop (20' X 24') I've invested in a Wynn filter for it and built a Thien separator that mounts on top of a trash can. Even with that setup I'm still getting very fine dust in the shop. I've already been to the ER twice before I figured out that I'm highly allergic to spalted maple so I want to try to eliminate as much dust as possible from the atmosphere of my shop. I should note that I have a Jet air cleaner mounted to the ceiling that I run whenever I'm working in the shop.

I'm going to be moving to another state in a few months and I'll be building a new shop there. The shop will be in a detached 4 car garage sized building with the shop taking up half the building. I've been brainstorming and came up with an idea for my DC system. I'll run the ductwork to the Thien separator then the to the DC. I'm thinking of building a box around the Grizzly DC unit with the end wall of the box set up to mount several (4?) high efficiency disposable furnace filters on it. The box would be inside the shop area. I'm thinking that the box will contain the fine dust while the filters will allow the air to flow back into the shop.....hopefully dust free. I'll just need to clean out the box every once in a while. I thought of setting everything up to vent the DC outside but I'm moving to New Hampshire where I'll really need to keep the heat in the shop in the winter.

Does this sound like a feasible solution or am I not thinking of something that would prevent this setup from working?

One thing you should seriously consider is replacing your 2 HP Grizzly/ Thien Baffle DC setup with a real, high capacity cyclone, such as one of the Clearvue or Oneida models. The Thien Baffle (I have one on my 3HP DC system) does not do a very efficient job of separating out the extremely fine dust particles, which may be the ones that are seriously contributing to your health problems. Consider the additional monetary investment in a cyclone DC system as an investment in your long term health. Also, since the Thien Baffle does a poor job of separating out fine dust, your Wynn filter will clog very quickly, especially if you are using a drum sander or similar.

Paul in Auburn, WA

If you're still getting fine dust with a Wynn filter I would suspect a leak somewhere. I know when I had mine with a Baffle and then a Dust Deputy there was almost zero fine dust emitted by the DC system. Have you checked the current system with a smudge stick or similar for leaks?

I don't see that your high efficiency furnace filters are going to stop the really fine dust getting back into the system unless they've got a better rating than the Wynn.

Paul's comment about the separation efficiency of the Baffle compared to a cyclone is well made, but a clogged filter should emit even less dust due to loading of the media, hence the need to check for leaks.
    Last edited by Andy Giddings; 05-02-2017 at 11:42 PM.

If you are that sensitive, you should vent your dust collector to the outside of your shop instead of trying to filter it further. The heat/coolng loss will be easier to deal with than trying to get mold spores out of the air by filtration.

Charley

As already mentioned, I would upgrade your DC to a bigger unit.

You probably need to critically look at each tool. Dust collection at the drill press, router table and sander are not real good. I bought a Festool sander and extractor mainly because of the dust collar. Yes, they are expensive but less than a visit to the ER. The other thing to look at is your clothes and change them when leaving the shop.

I'd agree with everything said here.

-venting outside***
    -more capable collector
    -evaluate pickup's at the machines
    ie. do you have over table collection on tablesaw? adequate airflow at machines?

Also, what's the filtration on your air cleaner? Most are not submicron and only serve to continuously circulate the finest dust for you to breath... Consider evaluating how you use that.

Very strongly suggest that you consider one of the PAPR units (Powered Air Purifying Respirator). Several vendors have them, 3M makes them for industrial use and they are excellent. Such units are pricey and so is your health. I would guess that one unit is cheaper than two trips to the ER. I got one years ago and have never had an issue.

Thanks all. I do use a 3M respirator when sanding just to be safe. I guess it's back to the drawing board! I'll have to budget an upgrade to my DC system for the new shop.

It seems to me there are two issues at play.

The first is that your dust collector will not capture all of the particles that are generated at the point of contact between the tool you are using and the work. So you need an effective respirator regardless of what you decide to do with respect to improving Your dust collection system.

The second is that it seems more likely that NOT needing to filter air will provide a better end result than doing your best to filter air and return it to your shop. Dumping dust collector air outside one wall of your shop, and bringing make up air into the shop from the other side may provide the ultimate clean air experience, unless you also suffer from algeries to pollen perhaps...😕

I currently have a Grizzly 2HP dust collector with a "chip collector" in front of it that works great. It is on my wife's side of the basement and she has never complained about dust. And I have not noticed any either. But it may be there. If I had health issues I would build a box around the grizzly unit and dump the exhaust air outside. No question in my mind that eliminating particulate carrying air is a more effective solution than trying to filter it.

I would probably install a gate that would allow me to keep heated air in the basement during winter, if I was working with something that was not a health concern.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Good advice here. Just remember that if you decide to vent outside, don't do it if you have gas appliances (furnace, water heater, etc.) in the shop. I don't pretend to know the science of it, but I've read a lot of warnings on that issue (including older Sawmill Creek threads). I briefly looked into it, but stopped as I have those two appliances and gas lines in my basement shop.

I made a 8" blast gate so I can vent outside when I want, and just close the gate to run all the air through the filter when it is very cold outside.

Given your sensitivity, I would just (budget allowing) go for a proper, larger cyclone.

You can make really nice things from other kinds of wood.

Wear a respirator, not just a dust mask.

Vacuum the shop

Wear a paper suit in the shop and step outdoors to take it off.

lots of ways to stay out of the ER. Of course if you had to pay the hospital bill you would find the right answers quick.

I also suspect you have leakage and a dirty filter. I used a Wynn filter on my old Delta 1 hp DC and it worked very well. But I used aluminum tape on the joints in the pipe and caulked the connection to the filter. It took effort to eliminate leaks. But with a 1hp DC it didn't do much if I didn't eliminate the leaks. I also clogged the filter quickly despite use of a thien baffle.

In my new shop, I just use a shop vac but it has a dust deputy which makes a big difference in how quickly the filter clogs. It's fairly easy to find youtubes of people upgrading the HF DC. It can apparently support a bigger impeller too. It is never going to be a 3hp DC but I think it can function effectively in a one person shop. But it does worry me that you are sensitive to at least one type of wood. That puts you into needing the large airflows that Bill Pentz recommends. He is sensitive too. That may mean a 5 hp DC. I would look at his information. If it is only the maple, maybe a soupped up HF and a really good dust mask when working with the spalted maple. You should be able to keep the dust out of your nose with a good respirator/mask. One of the powered units may be indicated. They aren't inexpensive but are cheaper than 5hp DCs.

Thanks for all the input. I'm definitely going to rethink the whole setup. I like the idea of venting to the outside so I'll probably go that route. I'm using a Hot Dawg brand shop heater in my current shop and will probably do the same in the new shop. The do make one that uses outside air for combustion so I shouldn't have to worry about the DC pulling in exhaust fumes...but I will verify that first.