Thread: Kudos to Clear Vue

Kudos to Clear Vue

Just completed an upgrade from my Shop Fox 1.5Hp single stage DC (I converted it to a dual stage) to a Clear Vue CV 1800. Clear Vue had a special running where they bundled the 16 inch impeller, blower housing, clean out and electrical box into the deal, so for just over 2k it was almost the same as a CV Max but with a smaller inlet (6 vs 8). Clear Vue felt that the larger impeller would give a 25% airflow increase on their stated performance of 1400 CFM.

Having just completed the build I'd just like to praise Clear Vue on putting together an outstanding package and their customer service for answering a whole bunch of questions prior to ordering. The build was straightforward. Only hard part was getting the motor mounted onto the wall solo as it weighs a fair bit. I was concerned about the quality of the components after reading some of the earlier reviews on SMC but the assembly was painless.

Like others, I agonized over metal vs S & D duct before choosing S & D. Glad I did as it was so much easier and quicker to assemble and worked out cheaper.

On the noise front, the DC doesn't seem significantly louder than the single stage it replaced, and its quieter than the table saw. Not sure whether I'll bother with an enclosure to lower the noise as I always wear ear protection due to the saw anyway.

I haven't measured performance but I can already see that the collection is a lot better.

I did look at the Oneida range but the one item that tipped it for me was the difference in filter area between the two.

I agree with you completely. I had ordered the new Laguna HFlux 3HP but it kept getting delayed so I called Clear Vue. With the discounts and upgrades it was only a couple hundred more and the Better Half said get the better one. I can't say enough about the cyclone and their customer support. Every question I've asked them has been answered very quickly and throughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Lesher View Post
    I agree with you completely. I had ordered the new Laguna HFlux 3HP but it kept getting delayed so I called Clear Vue. With the discounts and upgrades it was only a couple hundred more and the Better Half said get the better one. I can't say enough about the cyclone and their customer support. Every question I've asked them has been answered very quickly and throughly.
    My experience was the same. I put in the 5hp 1800 and they were careful with the order, prompt with shipping, and quick with help when I had a question. I used 6" S&D. The suction and air moved is incredible.

JKJ

Congratulations, Andy. But hey, didn't you just tell me a month ago that the Shop Fox 1.5 HP with Super Dust Deputy is great set up? I have a few more exams to grade to end the semester and then I hope to actually get around to installing the duct work. My shark guard arrived a couple of weeks ago, and I once I have everything set up, I intend to post a little review. The CV looks very nice, but for what I do and what my needs are, my set up should be more than adequate.

But I'm looking forward to more reports on your ClearVue, especially in comparison to your old set up.

Out of curiosity, what is the height of the CV system from floor to ceiling?

Steve, the Shop Fox is a great set up and it did the job - but I was using it to hook up a single machine with a short duct run. My reason for getting that initially was budget - couldn't stretch to a large cyclone. I'm intending to add more equipment in the future so wanted to future proof my DC and expand the ductwork, hence the upgrade. CV without modification is 95.5 inches tall with a 35 gallon drum. If height is an issue, Clear Vue are quite creative about how to get around it. In terms of comparing the two - obviously more suction which provides the ability to have longer and more complex duct runs without killing the performance. My cheap Pyle Anemometer gave up the ghost when I went to use it on the CV so can't compare numbers (and it would have been outside its range, I think)

Andy, did you already have the SSD XL? Looks like all you would need is the blower from clear vue? The SSD is a long cone cyclone with 6" inlet and outlet, should work well with the clear vue blower.

Jim, I had the standard SSD so it wouldn't have coped with the blower