Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jointer Plane

And?
    Rehab or recreate, still a very good plane...

Threads wander. Just like conversations in a pub, for example. If the forum would be only Ooh and Ahh, how Wunderfull, it would be incredably boring. I do like a friendly tone in those meandering threads though, something that is lacking occasionally.

You Aussies and your utility woods. . .

I'm jealous. While white oak and hickory are nice, Jarrah (which I believe that plane to be made from) is so beautiful.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I live in a very old house....doors are 8' tall, the windows were 5', and taller. Baseboards were tall, wide, thick and long.

Another old house I lived in (1890) had 2" x 5" by 20' roughsawn Oak wall studs ( Balloon Framed) Handsaw to rip the jambs, Jointer planes to even the edges.

Unless one lived in a Hobbit Hole House, you needed them long planes as a Carpenter.
    Carpentry, defined in the early/mid 19th century by Peter Nicholson.

1. Carpentry in civil architecture, is the art of employing timber in the construction of buildings. The first operation of dividing a piece of timber into scantlings, or boards, by means of a pit saw, belongs to sawing and is previous to anything done in carpentry.

2. The tools employed by the carpenter are the ripping saw, a hand saw, and adze, a socket chisel, a firmer chisel, a ripping chisel, an auger, a gimlet, a hammer, a mallet, a pair of pincers, and sometimes planes, but as these are not necessarily used, they are described under the head of joinery, to which the are absolutely necessary.

This might go some way to describe why my points seem at odds with those of yourself and Kees. I would not see the need for anything longer than a jack plane, even in second fix carpentry.

I'll avoid posting again until we see more progress on this excellent project posted by Stewie.

If not for carpentry, then what were all those jointers used for then? I just had a quick look on "marktplaats.nl", on the first page of antique planes. In 90 ads, there are 12 wooden jointers and 4 metal ones. All of them are for sure post 1870. And that is just another typical day, nothing special. And they are often pretty much worn out with huge mouths and short irons.

Kees,

PLEASE do not confuse this issue with facts and reasoned discourse. It's not welcome and conflicts directly with the offered pipe dream fairy tale. It only confuses people who enjoy listening to that sort of siren song. Shame on you!

I think the dissapearance of handplanes has been a very gradual process from 1800 to 1980 or so. In some countries more then in other. The enormous amount of post 1870 planes available on todays market, compared to the earlier ones is easilly explained for two reasons.
    - It's not so long ago so more of them have survived.
    - This curve shows the population of The Netherlands, other countries probably have similar curves. The number of people needing new homes, factories, furniture, and all those other wooden things, increased rapidly. So the number of craftsmen making all those things and needing planes to do that increased rapidly too. While increasingly more stuff was made on machines, that must have been a gradual process.

Population.png

So, even in 1930 you could still shoot a picture like this.
    Timmerlieden van aannemer Van de Weert in de Stalstraat, 1930..jpg

Whether post 1870 planes were actually better then earlier ones, is quite another question.

Kees,

Correlates perfectly with the demise of Sandusky tool, the largest wooden planemaker in the world in 1928. But again, please let's not confuse things with facts here.

They would be used mainly within the Joinery trade, where required. Some in the furniture workshops. Once machines became more normal, they might be used to give something a final truing if required. In vernacular settings the older methods would of lasted much longer, but even in North Devon, major furniture workshops were already heavily into machines by the 1880s.

This interesting book http://www.artscrafts.org.uk/branche...sandpbook.html goes into some detail about machines purchased from the 1850's onwards. If you like I can PM you the sections on the development of the factory, Kee's. This does not prove/disprove anything aside from my belief, real or imagined, that most of the lessons learned during the 18th and early 19th century were quickly on the wane once the industrial revolution kicked in and some tools, longer planes especially became less necessary.

12 long wooden planes and 4 metal! Loads! One thing that does survive well is #4's and #5's, in the UK at least. Metal jointers, not so much.
    Last edited by Graham Haydon; 05-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.

I seem to recall seeing photos of workmen at their benches, hand-planing parts for molds to make those machines. Nor, were they that far back in the past.....like about WW1 era?

Biggest part of these wooden planes was how much they weighed, compared to the iron bodied New-fangled planes. That Stanley #31 is roughly the same size as a Stanley #8, difference in the width of the cutter, and weighs in at half the weight of the iron plane. Sooo, which plane would YOU feel like lugging around all day, everyday?

You drop an iron plane on the floor, or it falls off the bench....it breaks, you can't continue the job. Wood bodied ones hit the floor, you pick them back up, re-adjust the settings, and go back to work....

Blog Entries
    My first #7 came from a retired cabinet maker. That was back in the mid-1990s.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Graham, I think we have a bit of a misunderstanding due to the language barier. We don't have a special name for " joiner". Carpenters an joiners are both "timmerman". So I understand that fitting doors, windows, panneling etc is a joiners job? Should have known that by now.

The initial mortising out of the bed, wear angle, and secondary escarpment bevel have been completed. At this stage mortising out is contained within the outside abutment lines. The 3rd photo shows the dedicated block that will used to form the wedge abutments. The 4th photo shows some of the hand tool I am using. Chalking is used to fine tune flat surfacing work. Traditional plane maker floats are of limited value on this wooden plane build due to the higher janka rating of Australian Jarrah.

]

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 05-08-2017 at 1:46 AM.

Comming along nicely. How is the Jarah to work with? Just hard or also brittle and splintery?