Thread: Best Glue - Floor to Sub-Floor

Best Glue - Floor to Sub-Floor

As part of a fireplace surround I need to replace the mitered trim surrounding the hearth (the floor). Is there a flooring adhesive any of you have used that when you ent back in five years to remove it, you found it had actually worked? No access from below, so my plan was to use screws and careful plug selection. The flooring I removed had been glued down and surprisingly the glue had mostly held.

Photo just shows some blocking for verifying the mitre angles and the width.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Polyurethane glue would work for that. Use sparingly as it expands but that's the beauty, it's gap filling. A few brads to hold it in place while the glue sets or weight it.

Just regular old PL400 construction adhesive- NOT the polyurethane stuff!- will hold it so good, you will take it out in pieces if you ever want to remove it. It also has the ability to take up space if subfloor is uneven, semi leveling, and provides solid bedding. Sold in 10 oz and quart tubes at the local lumber yard.

I agree with Peter...construction adhesive, either traditional or one of the newer low-VOC products since this is in existing living space. (I used the low VOC when I re-floored an area in the 250yo portion of our home)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Liquid Nails has a formula type specifically for that....
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    PL construction adhesive.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

PL premium is good for that. But if you want really good stuff. Get bostiks best floor adhesive. Im a floor guy, it's the best stuff. Or anything bona too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    Polyurethane glue would work for that. Use sparingly as it expands but that's the beauty, it's gap filling. A few brads to hold it in place while the glue sets or weight it.
    Yes, Polyurethane glue expands and it may fill gaps with foam, but there is no strength in the foam. You can minimize foaming by not wetting the wood to be glued and clean up any squeeze out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the recommendations folks ... went with PL400. All done, just waiting for the floor sander.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    Looks GOOD.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution