Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta Table Saw bogging down and overheating

Delta Table Saw bogging down and overheating

We have a Delta 36-5100 Contractor saw at work, probably about 2 years old. Lately we have been ripping down a lot of 2x4s for our shipping crates, and even with a brand new rip blade the motor will bog down and stop completely unless I feed the wood REALLY slow. Even then it will overheat and cut off after about 20-30 minutes of work. '

These are clean, straight SPF (spruce / white pine / fir) 2x4s. I have double-checked that the fence is parallel to the blade. There doesn't seem to be any wobble / runout in the arbor, and I took apart the motor housing to check for any sawdust buildup (there was actually a lot in there, but cleaning it out made no difference). Again, brand new rip blade right out of the package.

I hate this saw for this and many other reasons. I'm actually hoping that the motor burns out completely so we can finally get rid of it, because that's the only way my boss will approve a new saw. This thing won't die though, it seems to be hell-bent on doing a bad job forever. Has anyone else had this issue? Am I just expecting too much from a 13-amp saw, or is there anything I can do for better performance? Any help much appreciated.
    Last edited by Chris Glatz; 05-04-2017 at 2:19 PM.

Start pushing crooked boards thru that should help kill it sooner.I remember have a job site saw that would never die.I did finally get the motor to smoke,just be careful about kick back even those little motors can launch wood.
    Aj

Sounds like low supply voltage. Low voltage means the motor draws more current to get the same power. More current means more heating. Maybe a bad connection inside the box. Maybe a long, too thin, power cord.

Blog Entries
    How wet is your wood and is the blade being pinched? How many teeth are on the blade you are using? It is common for construction grade lumber to pinch shut on the blade as the cut is made which will make the saw work harder and seem to not be cutting well.

Another thought. Has anyone checked the alignment of the blade to the miter slots and the fence to the miter slots? Misalignment will also slow down your rate of cut. A well aligned saw will perform far better.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Not sure if that motor has a run capacitor, but if it does, check it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    BING, BING, we have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Assuming that the motor is an induction motor and not a universal motor, the run capacitor should not cause that problem. An induction motor does not need a run capacitor - most induction motors do not have a run capacitor.

But, if you have one, check it just to be sure.

Given low power and overheating of the motor, I'd favor a low voltage situation. It's possible a connection somewhere between the plug and the guts of the motor is corroded and is essentially a high resistance connection. That is, if you have normal voltage at the plug to begin with.

Mike

[This is a bit of a stretch but if the bearing were really bad they could put a drag on the motor and cause it to overheat. But if they were that bad, the motor probably wouldn't be able to start up - or would have difficulty starting up.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-04-2017 at 1:10 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    If your Delta saw is like mine, you should be able to convert it to 220 volt just by changing jumpers on the motor.

My saw had issues and bogged down easily like yours. I changed over to 220 volt power and the issue pretty much. disappeared.

I had to mount double pole switch on the saw. I added a new switch in a new box to the front of the saw,

I thought the op wanted to get rid of the saw and you guys are not helping.
    2x4 can be hard to rip because of pitch and just the nature of the wood.
    Really should up you machine to something with horse power.
    Save the cute little portable saw for very small stuff.
    Aj

+1 for Andrew! Cheers

You should also check the saw arbor and motor bearings. Unplug the saw, then remove the belt and try turning the saw blade by hand. It should turn very easily. Now do the same thing with the motor pulley. It will be a little harder, but should also turn easily by hand. Iff the motor needs new bearings, Fastenal, Grainger, McMaster industrial supply companies, or a bearing specialty store should have them, or it may be easier to take the motor to a motor repair shop for capacitor and bearing replacement.

Internal electrical shorts in the motor windings due to overheating of the motor, could also cause low output power and overheating. A motor repair shop can best determine this.

There are 2 capacitors (in 2 bumps on the outside of the motor of a Delta Contractor Saw), One is a start capacitor and one is a run capacitor. It's usually best to replace both when you suspect that one might be bad, but only replace them with the exact same electrical rating and physical size (not all capacitors of the same electrical rating will be the same physical size). They need to fit under those metal covers. Also, make certain that you don't mix them up when changing them. Label the wires for each with the capacitor rating as you remove them so you can put the new ones in the right place. Tgese are AC capacitors, so it doesn't matter which wire goes on the terminals, just one wire on each terminal. Grainger, McMaster, or similar industrial supply, or a motor repair shop would be good local sources for these capacitors. Motor shops can also test capacitors.

If the saw is running on an extension power cable, this could be the problem. The cable should be 12 or 14 gauge and not 16 or 18 gauge. Look at the writing on the side of the cable. If you don't find this writing or if you find that the cable has higher numbers than 14, replace it with a heavier duty 12 or 14 gauge cable.

Changing the motor connections and then running the saw on 240 volt power will get you less current draw, therefore less voltage drop in the power cable. It will also get you 1/2 hp more power. Delta contractor saws have motors that produce 1 1/2 hp when connected to 120 volt power and a full 2 hp when connected to 240 volt power. Look at the motor label if you don't believe me. If you change the motor over to 240 volts, be sure to change the plug to one of the standard 240 volt plugs and make certain that the wall outlet matches so it can;t be confused with a 120 volt power source, or someone might try to use the outlet to operate a 120 volt tool or try to run the saw from a regular 120 volt outlet. This could not only destroy the tool, but could seriously injure or kill the person holding the tool.

Charley

If you're not using a good quality carbide rip blade, you're not trying hard enough.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Blog Entries
    Really no reason that saw shouldn't be able to rip straight and true lumber all day with a proper rip blade. I too vote for an inadequate or improperly provisioned power source; long extension cord of light gauge, bad building wiring, shared circuit, etc.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-05-2017 at 9:28 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you guys, the extension cord is adequate (12g, 15ft) but I will check the capacitors and the voltage at the saw. All other things are good... bearings spin freely. Blade, fence, and miter slots are all parallel. Converting to 220 seems like a step up from trashing it, but we would have to have an electrician run a line over to this area and that would cost almost as much as getting an appropriate saw. You don't have to convince me that it's worth it, I'm already on board, but unfortunately that decision is not in my hands.

Blog Entries
    I converted mine to 220 and It does indeed run better. It's like a different saw. I did it several years ago. I run a 10" Forrest blade.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 05-04-2017 at 7:47 PM.