Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the setscrew a big deal on the Veritas planes?

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio

Is the setscrew a big deal on the Veritas planes?

I'm looking at Lie Nielsen vs Veritas

I'm leaning toward Veritas because:
    1. it's lower cost
    2. the side set screws holding the blade from skewing.

Is the set screw "feature" that big of a deal, it seems to make sense to me but do the LN really skew around a lot?

talk to me.

The setscrew is convenient, but not a huge game changer I would say. The best thing about Veritas low angel planes is having the norris adjuster. Lie-nielsen LA planes have no lateral adjustment built in (you have to do it by hand or with a hammer), and their adjuster nut has a lot of friction with the blade and tends to skew it as you increase/decrease depth of cut.

Blog Entries
    Hi Brian,

Most of my hand planes are old Stanley/Baileys that do not have a set screw. If the lever cap holding screw is set properly the blade doesn't move or skew in use.

Some folks like the set screws because it saves them a little time when installing a blade. It really doesn't take much time to set the lateral adjustment.

Do you have any opportunity to give the planes a test drive?

To me the feel of the plane in the hands is an important factor.

Also the Bailey design looks good. The flat top Bedrock design doesn't appeal to my sense of taste.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sommers View Post
    I'm looking at Lie Nielsen vs Veritas

I'm leaning toward Veritas because:
    1. it's lower cost
    2. the side set screws holding the blade from skewing.

Is the set screw "feature" that big of a deal, it seems to make sense to me but do the LN really skew around a lot?

talk to me.
    Hi Brian -

Both are good planes - I would not expect the LN to skew around in use.

While the set screws do restrain lateral movement in use they also ensure that, when making lateral adjustments, the blade has a set pivot point right at the mouth.

Cheers -

Rob

I like the set screw feature. It does keep the business end of the iron right where you want it to be, without additional fooling around. No decent plane should suffer the blade skewing around. But, once you have set the Veritas's set screws,it's "set it and forget it.

Don't know about the bench planes, but the set screws are very useful on both the shoulder and block planes that I have. Actually, essential on the shoulder plane.

I have LN and LV planes. I thought the screw set was an important feature. To hold the blade in place. So far I have use it twice. You can live without it mostly. There will be a time when the blade can shift
    and that is when the screw set is important.

Blog Entries
    I'll speak as a hybrid woodworker so my opinion may not carry the weight of a true Galoot . . . I love the set screws. The ability to pull an iron, give it a quick touch up and drop it right back in really works for me. Yes I can do basically the same with my traditional form factor planes but, they are not as quick and reliable in restoring the position. I'd say they are like power side mirrors on your car; if you never had them, you wouldn't miss them but, they are nice to have.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'll speak as a hybrid woodworker so my opinion may not carry the weight of a true Galoot . . . I love thein set screws. The ability to pull an iron, give it a quick touch up and drop it right back in really works for me. Yes I can do basically the same with my traditional form factor planes but, they are not as quick and reliable in restoring the position. I'd say they are like power side mirrors on your car; if you never had them, you wouldn't miss them but, they are nice to have.
    Well stated Glen! I can't think of anything to add.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 05-05-2017 at 1:30 PM.

There is an added but little known benefit with the set screws, if you place the front edge between the screws every time before installing the blade. Doing so forces you to slow down and carefully fit the front between the screws, hence reducing the chances of hitting the mouth with a honed edge. I have seen too many woodworkers bang a sharp edge against metal when they replace a blade. You know what follows when that happens!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    I have seen too many woodworkers bang a sharp edge against metal when they replace a blade. You know what follows when that happens!

Simon
    Yeah, lots of cursing...

And yet another sharpening thread....

I like having the set screws, as others have mentioned, the reduce the amount of time you need to fiddle with the plane to get the iron where you want it. It doesn't make all that much of a difference for the bench planes and low angle planes, as adjusting those are pretty simple to begin with, but where they really shine are in the shoulder planes - any plane where the side and cutting edge of the blade need to be in line with body of the plane.

[QUOTE= and their adjuster nut has a lot of friction with the blade and tends to skew it as you increase/decrease depth of cut.[/QUOTE]

There is an after market adjuster made specifically for LN which is a small bearing on a brass knob, called the Howard adjuster. It fixes all those adjuster nut problems.

Blog Entries
    and their adjuster nut has a lot of friction with the blade and tends to skew it as you increase/decrease depth of cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Phillis View Post
    There is an after market adjuster made specifically for LN which is a small bearing on a brass knob, called the Howard adjuster. It fixes all those adjuster nut problems.
    Straddling the blade with one's thumb and forefinger resting on the side of the plane while adjusting the depth will also hold the blade's lateral position.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)