Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning Pint Glass

David and John, I thought that I would give you an update on my new box rest. As you know, I am one of those guys who would rather make something than buy it. Especially if the process is pretty simple. I already had a box rest but it was straight and was more difficult to position than the "hockey stick" design that David had posted.

I had some 1" round cold roll laying around and some 3/8" thick x 1-1/2" surveyors stakes (hot roll) laying around. So I cut them to size and welded them. You can't see it from the picture, but there is also a 3/8" stiffener underneath, so the "beam" is 3/4" thick. Zero flexing.

IMG_0013 (768x1024).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    JT Turning Tools offers a 4" offset style that looks to be handy for that type of work.
    Attachment 359635

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    David and John, I thought that I would give you an update on my new box rest. As you know, I am one of those guys who would rather make something than buy it. Especially if the process is pretty simple. I already had a box rest but it was straight and was more difficult to position than the "hockey stick" design that David had posted.

I had some 1" round cold roll laying around and some 3/8" thick x 1-1/2" surveyors stakes (hot roll) laying around. So I cut them to size and welded them. You can't see it from the picture, but there is also a 3/8" stiffener underneath, so the "beam" is 3/4" thick. Zero flexing.
    Nice design and simpler construction than cutting an "L" piece (if you have the welding stuff!) You've inspired me; I've got some 1" cold rolled.

I'm always amazed at how often I suddenly have a need to weld something. Today I "needed" a 27' 11" steel support to stiffen a row of wooden posts for my thornless blackberry plants. I have plenty of 20' angle iron on hand so with 5 minutes of prep and MIG I had what I needed.

I've searched here and the steel surveyors stakes must not be an East Tennessee thing. Fortunately I have a shed full of steel stock, enough to handle almost anything that comes up.

JKJ

IMG_0013 (768x1024).jpg
    Nice fab job Brice. Glad everything worked out for you.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Hi John,
    Home Despot carries them out here in their concrete dept. In the on-line catalog they call them 3/8 in. x 1-1/2 in. x 36 in. Flat Steel Stake, Store SKU #545231

Here is a link to that item (comes in various lengths): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weyerhaeu...6175/202094304
    The picture looks like the round stakes but the description is okay. I did some calcs and the cost comes out to a dollar a pound which is not terrible but which is higher than scrap steel price. But I have these stakes laying around from a couple of old projects.

I keep trying to justify buying a MIG welder but have not convinced myself yet. So I use my Lincoln "tombstone" AC stick welder on heavier things like this.

Hi John,
    Home Despot carries them out here in their concrete dept. In the on-line catalog they call them "3/8 in. x 1-1/2 in. x 36 in. Flat Steel Stake, Store SKU #545231
    I keep trying to justify buying a MIG welder but have not convinced myself yet. So I use my Lincoln "tombstone" AC stick welder on heavier things like this.
    Thanks, I see it now on the HD web site. This really MUST not be an East TN thing - the search shows it not available in any HD within 100 miles and not available by shipping!

I was mostly curious about the price, having never heard of such a resource. I am fortunate to live fairly near several steel suppliers, including Triple-S: http://www.sss-steel.com/ and some fabrication places that will let me dig through their scrap bins and sell me offcuts at ridiculously low prices. Some years ago I bought about 8000 lbs of new steel stock at 10 cents/lb so I usually can find useful pieces in my shed. When I need new stuff I have a gooseneck trailer and haul in 20' sticks from Triple-S.

I bought my first welder a bunch of years, a little 110v Lincoln flux core welder and used it so much I almost wore it out! Then I got a torch and learned to gas weld, an AC/DC stick welder for big farm stuff, and when I built my shop I put in a welding room and added MIG, TIG, and a plasma cutter plus saws and press. If I had less space I'd probably have just the MIG and the plasma cutter - that thing is amazing! It will cut 1/2" clean and blow through up to 1" steel. Cuts stainless like it is air. Good clean fun!

JKJ